insults at work, what do i do?

everyone at my work seems to get away with insulting each other. They especially like taking hits at me calling me a dumb blonde and saying i need to dye my hair another color or i'm "slow" today. Even the managers do it. I don't mind cutting up and having fun but i don't like being insulted and i especially hate being introduced to the new people as "the ditzy one." What will happen if i go to human resources about this? Its been happening for a long time and i'm really just tired of all the games.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• and i never insult any of them.
    Anonymous

• Tell the managers first, if you don't feel safe, go to human resources.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 10:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• You are not being treated equally if they are targetting you and thats wrong. Go over the managers head and dont back down. I dont know how you can work in that atmosphere.
    Kathy7_20

Answer by Kathy7_20 at 10:38 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Is it possible they don't know it hurts you? I think you should definitely start by letting them know you don't like it. I know sometimes it's hard to do, but if I were you I'd just be straightforward and matter-of-fact: "I really don't like being called a ditzy blond, so chill with that already." I know people can get carried away with this. I used to get teased about my nose, but they thought they were just being funny. Once you go to HR, it will change your relationship with your coworkers, so make sure you've given them a chance first. If they still disrespect you, definitely do what you have to do, because that's not right! Good luck, you beautiful blond!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:19 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Document EVERYTHING.

Go to HR

Contact the EEOC: http://www.eeoc.gov/

Answer by rkoloms at 8:16 AM on Apr. 22, 2010