Vegetarians/Vegans

Where do you typically get your protein, iron, and b vitamins from? What does a typical menu for your day consist of?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I like cereal with soy milk, oatmeal, peanut butter on whole wheat toast, fruit smoothies made with soy yogurt for breakfast

I like veggie burgers, pasta with grilled or roasted veggies, hummus on toast or crackers, popcorn, veggie soups, bean salads

lots of good food out there that is good for you, too~
    Anonymous

• I'm not vegan. I have dairy and occasionally fish but no red meat. I take multi vitamins, D and B supplements daily. I cook with an iron spider to help with iron. My protein comes from eggs, cheese, beans, legumes, nuts, tofu and protein powder mixed in shakes. It's hard to get it in. I dislike meat but am supposed to eat some. Typical day is cereal or a protein shake and coffee, lunch is reduced fat swiss and saltines, some hummus, pickles, berries or soup and veggie sandwich, snack is yogurt and almonds and dinner is stir fry, fish, gardenburgers or veggie tacos or whatever I feed my dh and kids minus the meat (chicken, ground beef, turkey). Dinner is the toughest meal. I try to avoid too many carbs and that is rough.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:46 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I'm not strict vegan, but i try to avoid using much dairy. Protein is way overrated and most people get more than they need. Having said that, there is lots of protein in nuts and seeds, legums, grains, and even some greens. There is lots of iron in greens, and I can't give you much info about b vitamins. Right now my diet is totally random, but I do love granola, brown rice, mexican food, steamed broccoli and asparagus... just some random thoughts about what i've been eating lately....
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 10:54 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Fruits and veggies, alot of your soy products will have everything you need. Your soy meats. Pastas, nuts beans.
    You really have to research and plan your menu out.
    Anonymous

• im not vegan but do Non-vegans really worry about this stuff.. hehe..
    Im seriously thinking about going vegetarian with all the recent stuff I have learned about the meat industry. but even our veggies are being hurt & are not as great as they should be... Need to grow my own darn garden!
    Anonymous

• Did you know that most Americans eat WAY too much protein? We get our protein from whole grains and legumes. We get our iron from foods like lentils and kale: www.soystache.com/iron We get B12 from nutritional yeast.

Breakfast: whole grain (home made) frozen waffles with peanut butter and banana. Lunch: whole grain toast with avocado, tomato, sea salt and hummus with carrots. Dinner: stir-fried vegetables and tofu over brown rice.

How do meat eaters get enough whole grains, fruits and vegetables? How do they build strong immune systems?

Answer by rkoloms at 8:20 AM on Apr. 22, 2010