HELP! Overproducing breast milk..ow..

I had my daughter Friday and started pumping for her that day. She is in the NICU and I have been unable to breastfeed her. I was told by LCs to pump every two hours in the day and three at night for 20 min each time. She is fed every three hours. Well now she is ready to start trying to nurse but I am overproducing and getting full and she can't latch. I'm trying to cut back my pumping to her schedule (hence the fullness) but it hurts. How I can balance out this supply and demand? I am able to pump 2 oz each side (so 4 total) every two hours (even more every three hours!) and she has been eating only 1-2 oz each feeding. I'm stressing out because I want her to latch successfully at least a few times before coming home, but the LCs helped create this problem so I need help from elsewhere and I'm hoping someone here will have some good advice. PLEASE HELP!!

RoniV

Asked by RoniV at 10:46 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pump alittle off first so you aren't so full and she will be able to latch. it may take 2 weeks but your supply will even out. Within 3 weeks, you will get to producing only what she needs so if you intend on going to work, keep pumping so you have a supply handy.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:50 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• stop with the pump--

manually express before attempting latch (to soften your breast)-- if you need to ask for a nipple shield (but beware the nipple shield is likea bad crutch you cant get rid of once you start)

feed on demand only

it will take youre breasts 48 hours to "catch up" if you do on demand only
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:52 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Ah, i remember the days. I called them my porn star boobies. They stayed like that for at least 4 days but they still hurt like hell for another week. My daughter was 5 weeks early so i feel your pain (literally). DONT PUMP!!!!! This is just your milk coming in. It all came in so that you body could figure out how much your DD needs. If you pump (except to relieve the EXTREEME pressure ONLY) then your body keeps producing more milk. I agree with hand expressing before latching but honestly my daughter didnt latch for months. She COULD latch and had a great sucking response but my boobs were WAY too big for too long, her poor little mouth :(
    Long story short: i ended up using a nipple shield which SUCKED!!! Dont do it unless you absolutely have to but it is always an option. As soon as i got how it worked she did great and i became the human cow ;)
    Good luck!!!! Hope this helped :)
    zoozleroo

Answer by zoozleroo at 10:59 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Thanks for the replies ladies. Zoozleroo, HILARIOUS that you called them your porn star boobies because that is what I have been calling them!! LOL.

But can I really just NOT pump at all (other than to relieve pressure) when I am not getting to feed her except for once a day right now? Wouldn't it dry up if I didn't pump? I had to pump initially to give her some breastmilk so they wouldn't use formula, but she is only there until Friday morning (one more full day!) and I definitely have enough milk stocked for her there already to make it through that day. I am honestly a little scared to not pump at all (again, other than to relieve the pressure) as I don't want to end up causing the reverse problem and then have no milk.

So can I really NOT pump for a day or so and things will work out fine once she comes home and starts nursing? If so that'd be great so I could maybe get a bit more sleep before she comes home. :)
    RoniV

Answer by RoniV at 11:10 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I am having the same problem. I was bottle feeding my DS cause he was on thickened breastmilk for reflux so I was/am pumping every 2 hours. I am pumping between 6-12 oz at each sitting and have over 25 bags of milk in freezer just from the last week and a half. well I started getting really sore breasts and I thought it was because I wasnt getting them empty enought. I started pumping then letting DS nurse afterwards which I'm sure jsut added to the problem. we are now working on getting him back to breast only and I am very excited about this. He is doing good but I am still getting the very full feeling very fast and have a hard time going 3 hours without pumping/ nursing. GL hope everything works out
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 11:11 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Really...stop pumping except for relief. It will NOT hurt your supply.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Will your dtr be able to go to only bfing when she comes home? I ask this because my dtr had to be on extra calorie bm after being in NICU. I'd talk to a LC before you stop pumping, because situations differ with preemies than with full term babies. As for the nipple shield, it may suck, but it may be what she needs to effectively latch on if the "boob to mouth ratio" is too large. Also, talk with the NICU nurses about your concerns
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• i agree with the ladies above. just pump enough befor eshe nurses to make it easier to latch on, it will even out to her needs in a few days.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:42 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I used to call them my Chevy's. They were hard as a rock, hence, Chevy, Like a Rock.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:42 PM on Apr. 22, 2010