Do you have a Publix in your town?

If, so do you ever let the bagger take the groceries out to your car?

I can't let myself use them, I always refuse and take my own bags. I've seen them carry out as little as 2 bags for some seemingly healthy young/middle age women. I say seemingly, meaning no apparent casts, arm splints, or canes to signify some kind of disability. I think maybe the younger ladies have crushes on the bagboy or they just got their nails done, lol.

aluvk4evr

Asked by aluvk4evr at 10:55 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• We have a Publix, and I do because the bagger said if they're not being used, someone gets sent home, so if you don't use them, you're hurting them in their paycheck. Besides that, one told me he liked to get out in the fresh air, and out of the store for a few minutes. I used to offer a tip, but they would say they're not allowed to accept them because they get a good wage, so I stopped offering. I love shopping at Publix because the employees seem to like working there (it is an employee owned company) and if I ask someone where something is, they never seem like I'm interrupting their work, and it's their policy to take you and find it for you instead of saying something like,"I think it's aisle 6".
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:34 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• i live in NY, we dont have publix here. but i lived in FL for a couple of yrs and we had a publix there, but i didnt shop there, i liked sweetbay better. here in NY we have shoprite, stop and shop, and A&P
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:56 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• LOL No we don't have one here but I know what you mean I usually say no anyway I don't how much I have to take out I shopped for it I can put it in the vehicle all by my lonesome ;). not to mention I don't carry cash so I won't be able to tip.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:58 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Apparently you are not "supposed" to tip the Publix baggers. I'm sure some still do anyway ;-)
    aluvk4evr

Answer by aluvk4evr at 11:02 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Well I say no too. I mean heck I have three boys they can carry them.
    viola_swamp

Answer by viola_swamp at 11:04 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• If its only like 1 or 2 bags, no I don't. If its a cart full, yes I do. There are (usually) employees assigned to be baggers for their shifts and part of that job is walking people to their vehicles and helping unload. If no one lets them bring their bags to their vehicles, those people are earning their pay checks without doing the job the company wants them to do. Now if it was someone who was cashiering who came over and bagged my groceries, I'd prob. just do it on my own, but those who are assigned on that shift to be the bag boys/girls, yes I let them. I <3 Publix. One of my favorite places to shop.

Anonymous

• Anon:09, that must be why the prices tend to be so much higher, lol. Surely Publix knows not many people are going to take up the offer, but hey. I don't shop there much anyway, just for the fruits. :)
    aluvk4evr

Answer by aluvk4evr at 11:24 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Well, that's some new info for me SweetLuci. I guess I'll have to put them guys to work then :D
    aluvk4evr

Answer by aluvk4evr at 11:35 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I wish that we had a Publix here. There is not a bakery around that even compares to theirs. I know off topic a bit nut I love Publix and they should move to Washington. When I am visiting Florida and I have the three kids with me they tend to be extremely helpful. There are times when I would just rather do it myself and that works too.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:36 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I love Publix. You aren't supposed to tip the baggers - it's been Publix policy since they started that baggers can't accept tips. And they're there to carry out groceries if you want. No harm done, and they get a nice little walk out of it. They can also help clear carts from the lot quickly, which is another positive.

We don't have one here (we're in CA) but I grew up in Lakeland with Publix's headquarters.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 11:57 PM on Apr. 21, 2010