• In the Spotlight:

At what age did your older kids grow out of the "helpful" stage?

My sweet 3 yr old dd would help with everything if I let her. She's such a pleaser, as most toddlers are. But I know the day will come when I have to demand/coax/bribe/beg her to do chores; wonder when that is.

aluvk4evr

Asked by aluvk4evr at 11:00 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• My 10 year old still hasn't grown out of it. I just teach her that helping is part of being a family. It's not extra chores. There is no allowance or anything, just a verbal thank you. Sure, she might gripe about it sometimes, but she always does what I ask her to do.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:39 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Ohh id love to know this answer.. Will be watching.. My dd is 3.5 and is so sweet & a great helper. She even tells me "Thank You" for helping her & " mommy your such a good helper".. haha .. gotta enjoy these days while i can!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:37 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I have 3 older girls and a young son..it really depends on the personality. I have a 17 yr old who helps and does things without being asked, my 5 yr old is still going strong. My 18 yr old has NEVER wanted to be helpful and is quite arrogant. I have no idea where I got such a mix of personalities! they were all raised the same. My 23 yr old grew out of being helpful at around 12 but she has Aspergers.
    I have a friend with 6 kids, 4 girls and 2 boys...the boys are 19 and 25 and love to help out around the house and the girls were always the lazy ones, whining about doing the simplest things. It is all about personality
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Apr. 22, 2010