Autism/Teacher

I'm a student and a week ago I went to observe a classroom and met this little boy. He is autistic. He looks just like my son. He's adorable! No matter his issues. I didn't think much of it. The next time I saw him he came right to me. He is such a great little boy. I realized that I would probably not see him again. When I left that day for some reason I kept thinking of him. I have to say I miss him dearly! I don't know if I can be a teacher anymore I don't want to get this attached. I've been told his parents don't give him the attention he needs. I wish I could help him more. I'm feel sad. What to do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You should talk to your course supervisor first. It's impossible to not get attached at all,& just like your first real love, this is your first taste of what letting go of students feels like. It's be hard, but you will get better at it, you'lll recognise when you are attaching personal feelings (you said he is just like your son - too personal) & pull yourself up. When you first become a vet nurse you want to bring home every stray puppy & kitten. When you're a financial advisor you have some clients you know are heading for trouble from overspending & you want so badly to steer them clear. As a Mom when the first baby walks through the school gate it feels like your heart has been ripped out, but by number 3 you're more prepared & it doesn't rip as bad. Talk to your supervisor, other students, it's okay to love & let go. Also the comment about his parents -the teacher has no right say that unless she's there each night
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 11:24 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I have an ASD son who I'm sure many people ( including family members) thought could have been handled better -we were just doing our best with what we knew and with the tools we had. Autism is such an wide ranging disorder there is no single treatment that is effective across the board - they are all different and so much of treatment is trial and error. It's exhausting and sometimes I avoided school meetings cause I didn't want to hear yet another teacher tell me "Jack needs to learn to concentrate" sometimes you can give every second of the day in attention and it still isn't enough
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 11:29 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I worked for a short time as a nurse for a little girl in a special ed class. I was amazed by how dear those children were in that class! I really wished that I could be a teacher's aid there or stay on as a nurse. There is something so special about special needs kids. But I think getting attached to kids like that is part of the beauty of being a teacher, and it will make you a better person. To avoid that kind of attachment is to shut yourself off from some pain, but also to miss much beauty. Go for it! Be a teacher!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:54 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• You do get attached. I worked with Special ed children. But you normally have special ed the whole time while they are at each school. So it isnt just one year, and you so get to know the parents very well, and you cant help but get attached. It isnt always a bad thing. I do miss the kids, but I now am a SAHM. Good luck.
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 12:20 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• From OP: I'm no one to judge his parents. I said I've been told. Is it true or not I don't know but this boy made his way into my heart. I'm not sure if its because he's in need of more attention or whatever. I can probably go back and do some more work and probably bump into him. I might just call the school today. I do feel better and Thank you ladies!! God Bless!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I once was a student in the school of education at the university I attended. I realized after attending a classroom and observing that teaching was not for me. Not because I thought I wouldn't be a good teacher or that teaching was wrong for me...but because I wanted to do more. So I walked across the street to the school of social work. Later I did work in a school after I graduated. I worked in a school as a mental health therapist providing therapy for children and their families. When students and families had issues I got to teach, educate, and facilitate changes.  It has been a few years since I have worked in a school but I loved what I did.  I also had so much flexability.  I liked not being tied down to one classroom all day long and able to do all ages.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:48 PM on Apr. 22, 2010