natural pushing vs. epi pushing (?)

Did you have a natural birth / epi (or other drugs)?
How hard did you have to push?
How long did you have to push?
Did you get anything from pushing hard (like black eyes)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• #1 had an epidural and pushed for an hour and a half no problems after
    #2 no epidural pushed for 5 minutes no problems
    twogirlsandmore

Answer by twogirlsandmore at 9:33 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• First time 11 hrs. Labor and pushed for 10 mins. And got swollen eyes the second time around was 5 hrs. Labor and 10 mins pushing and no after effects
    Anonymous

• My labor was 8 hours start to finish - I got an epi 1 hour into it (thank GOD!) I slept through most of my labor (my water broke at 3am) I started pushing at 10am and had my son at 10:25am. The pushing was hard, I thought I was going to bust blood vessels in my face... but I didn't. No black eyes... no nothing! And both him and I are perfectly healthy!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:20 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• With my first 2 I pushed less than 30 minutes. With my third I pushed for less than 5 minutes. I had an epi with all three but it didn't work at all with my first. I pushed hard. No problems and I didn't feel like I was going to have anything happen while pushing.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 11:36 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• my 1st baby and 3rd baby were natural....all I did was accept the pain and keep my breathing steady and I was able to focus on bearing down and pushing...thing too is that it really hurts and therefore more inspired to push harder. They both came out in less then 10 minutes ( 12 hours labor each)
    My 2nd I was medicated and could not focus on the breathing or the pushing. She was also around 12 hours labor but the pushing took 30 minutes.
    Always push bearing down, like your having a bowel movement.
    Anonymous

• I had an epi. I could feel it though since the epi did not work very well.

It took 45 minutes and I actually did burst blood vessels in my face pushing.

I am pretty sure next time I'm going to do it at a birth center or home.. I'd much rather suffer in comfort.
    Alecto

Answer by Alecto at 11:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• 3 kids epidurals with each, no after effects.

1st pushed 20 minutes.
    2nd pushed 2 contractions (so what's that like four or five minutes)
    3rd. One contraction so one and a half minutes.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 11:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• No epi here. I pushed 20 minutes and didn't have any disfigurements. I think the pictures taken of my right after DS was born are my favorite.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:48 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• I had an epidural. I pushed for an hour and a half. It wasnt that bad. I was in active labor for 7 hours before I started pushing. I did pull a muscle in my back but the doctor said it was probably from being in the hospital bed for 2 days. I pooped alittle while pushing. I got dehydrated so be careful make sure youre getting enough fluids. You can only have ice chips and no food on an epi. I feel so much better physically as soon as I was done delivering and was off the epi. Good luck.
    Sillybillymel

Answer by Sillybillymel at 12:16 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I had an epi with all three. First time I pushed through two contrax - maybe 5 minutes, and had no ill effects at all from either the pushing or the epi.

Second time the epi didn't work as well, so I still felt a lot, plus I dilated totally, but wasn't totally effaced (I had a "lip" of cervix still in the way). By the time that was gone I was so ready to push it took only two or three pushes and he was out. Same deal, no ill effects.

Third time we discovered he was breech after 16 hours of labour. They also discovered meconium in the amniotic fluid so I had an unplanned c/s and no pushing. Had the epi in for a couple days with morphine, but once again no problems afterwards.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:40 AM on Apr. 22, 2010