I need ideas on how to fall asleep...I never seem to sleep

When I go to bed i don't fall asleep until around midnight, then I wake up at 2 am. Can't fall back to sleep until around 6 am and I have to be up at 8 am. I feel tired but I feel so restless all the time! I don't have insurance to see a DR. and I have tried over the counter sleep aides and they don't work. Now tonight I have anxiety about tomorrow and can't sleep and probably won't until around 3 0r 4 am.
I'm going nuts here and my husband doesn't understand, he thinks if I just lay down I will go to sleep, Does not work that way though.
I need ideas, home remedies just something that will help me sleep

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• make sure you dont have any clocks to look at and try to find something that gets you tired i work out right before bed i have the same problem good luck!
    saadamarie

Answer by saadamarie at 11:33 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Take the TV out of your room, take a warm bath before bedtime. You can also drink sleepy tea there are many types of flavors.
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 11:41 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• Keep a pad of paper and a pen next to your bed. Try drinking a small glass of wine before bed and while you sip write down everything you can think of that might be stressing you out. Even if it's little things like doing laundry, or raking the yard etc. It helps to get things down on paper and if you wake in the middle of the night start writing again. Been an insomniac for years, did the write down method and been sleeping pretty well. Also, don't go to bed because you have to. Go to bed when you're extremely tired, you'll get a better quality of sleep. I hope this works for you......Good Luck!!
    Callie140

Answer by Callie140 at 12:01 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I know that feeling well my friend. If you have a clock radio next to your bed move it to across the room and facing away from your bed so you can't check the time every time you wake up. It's almost like you psych yourself up telling yourself you won't fall asleep and in turn that is the reason you can't sleep. Does that make sense? I have to get up for my dayshifts at 0330 and I have that problem too. I do the math in my head...ok so if I fall asleep now I can get X hours of sleep. If I lay awake till 0100 I know I won't get enough sleep and on and on....ugh.
    Try a white noise machine... I love mine.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:34 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• do you exercise regularly? I have trouble sleeping if I don't. Also are you eating chocolate or sugars before bed? What about soda or coffee? If I have anytype of caffine after 5pm I can't sleep. chocolate keeps me from sleeping too,
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 8:44 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I'm SO SORRY you have this problem and I CAN RELATE! However, TRY to find the extra $ to see a doctor. WHY? Let me tell you my story! In 2002, I started having SEVERE high blood pressure and INSOMNIA (but I was NOT tired, EVER!) They determined I had a benign tumor on my right adrenal gland. Gland was removed. Problem solved. Until last month when same problems came up again. Back to doctor. Left adrenal has same problem VERY RARE! Waiting for some test results right now to determine what can be done. Living WITHOUT adrenal glands is not a good option! If your blood pressure is high, SEE A DOCTOR PLEASE! Your life could depend on it.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 5:06 AM on Apr. 23, 2010