Job Interview Tips

So, I have a job interview tommorrow at a doctors office for front office. I am really hoping to get this job. It is only a PT with possible FT in the future. This will be great for me since I'm not totally ready to leave my almost four month old and my three year old. PT will get me use to being away more often. My question being, what are your interview tips? What to do, what not to do? How to dress? Etc......

ISLUVZOLIVIA

Asked by ISLUVZOLIVIA at 11:31 PM on Apr. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• I've had a LOT of jobs so a LOT of interviews, first on what to wear, wear something you're comfortable in but that is dressy, i.e. a suit (even if it's "just" a receptionist position), you want to wear something related to the job you ultimately want in life not the job you are interviewing for. Do you have to wear a skirt and heels? No, not if you're not comfortable in that. You also don't have to wear the suit jacket, but take one it makes you look more professional. Interview tips, relax, take time to answer questions, and ask questions, research the company before you go, ask how long the person you're talking to has been there, what do they like best and least about working there? My favorite (and I've actually been told several times this is what cinched the job for me) I ask what headaches hiring this position is going to solve for the person interviewing me, sometimes the answer is a simple, our other XXXXX is le
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 11:39 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• leaving and we want someone in who can pick up the responsibilities quickly. At which point you can point out that you have been told in previous jobs you pick up software and new responsibilities quickly without a lot of training, you get the idea. Good luck, DEFINITELY tell me how it goes, we'll be praying for you!
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 11:40 PM on Apr. 21, 2010

• make sure you arrive 15 minutes early to ensure you're not late, and to fill out any "forms" they may need. I like the previous poster's comments about dressing. Be sure to have questions to ask the interviewer. Speak clearly and be concise. Do not speak negatively about previous employers. Make SURE your cell phone is off or on vibrate. Bring a copy of your resume. If you're confident in your skills show 'em what you got. If not "fake it till you make it". Sit up straight, and don't forget to smile!
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 12:02 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Be early. Iron your clothes. Be confident but not cocky. You have to "sell" yourself to them so come up with examples of how useful you will be to them if they hire you. It's ok to be nervous not shy.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:28 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Wear a suit. Bring several fresh copies of your resume. Avoid scented products.
    Be prepared with great questions (such as: why is this position open? What would you consider to be the mission statement for this position) and be ready to tailor your statements to fit with what they tell you.
    As soon as you get home, send a thank you note to each person you met with. The thank you note should have three parts: thanking the person for her/his time (shows your good manners); thanking the person for a speciific piece of information regarding the position or office (shows you were paying attention); one useful thought or idea that you did not mention during the interview (shows you have been thinking seriously about the position).

Feel free to contact me with any questions; I do career and job search coaching.
    Good luck!!

Answer by rkoloms at 8:08 AM on Apr. 22, 2010