Am I asking to much....

Okay so here's my dilemma... I work full time and go to school full time with a 16 month old I have a WONDERFUL fiance that works 40 hours a week, however, he dropped out of school when we were 16. I told him 4 years ago when he dropped out that if he dropped out he had to get his GED. that was the agreement. I love him and my MIL to death she's my best friend as well as he is however, I told him tonight that he HAD TO GET HIS GED or should I say get in GED classes by AUG. am I asking to much? For him to work 40 hours a week and go to class for a total of 6 hours a week with no homework? I worked full time and went to school fulltime the whole time I was pregnant and still do it, however, when I'm super busy he's ALWAYS taking care of our daughter! A great daddy and fiance. But am I asking to much for him to get his GED. It won't take him long at all. My MIL thinks I'm asking too much and makes me feel horrible.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Apr. 22, 2010 in

• He should get it because he can see the value in doing so. It will only be helpful.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:34 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Why is it so important to you? He has a job is a good provider and a good father. What is the issue with his GED? Plenty of people don't graduate highschool and go on to have successful lives. Sounds to me you need something to fight about or are trying to be controling. I would let it go if I were you. If for some reason he loses his job then ask him to go back to school.
    StevensWife

Answer by StevensWife at 12:35 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I would wait and let him get it on his own time. I had a friend who when his kids were 8 and 5 he decided to go and get his ged. He decided that he couldn't ask his kids to do something that he didn't even complete. I guess what I am saying is you can demand it but shouldn't this be because he wants it, not you?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• That's the thing I'm the money maker and I'm the one that goes to school why would he not want to better his job for his family. Why do I have to be the break winner? Why should I wait until he LOSES his job for him to go back to school? That doesn't make any sense? I'd rather him have it and stay at his job if that's what he chooses then to wait until he loses it and then be screwed! I'm a little confused....
    KotaElle

Answer by KotaElle at 12:37 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• It should be because he wants it too. We're only 21 but you would think that being together for 5 years and having our own family that he would of wanted to get a long time ago he already said he wants to NOT TELL our daughter he didn't graduate so she doesn't think less of him when she's older but if he were to get his GED then it wouldn't matter if she knows he dropped out because he'll have his GED..... Maybe I'm setting high goals but it's because he's smart and was just lazy in high school..... He makes minimum wage and I'm busting my ass to bring in money and go to school to better our lives it should be BOTH of us bettering our lives not just me.... that's just what I think.
    KotaElle

Answer by KotaElle at 12:40 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• To me you are trying to control him and make him go back to school. This should not be an issue. You are lucky he has a job. Experience opens more doors than a degree hun. My husband has his bachelors in Electronics and we have had to move a few times. His degree has not served him well. What has is his experience at his jobs.
    StevensWife

Answer by StevensWife at 12:41 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• WOW controlling isn't the word at all.... But think what you want. It's the pressure to better himself for what he wants his kids to look at him as.... he's told me several times he wants to get his GED he just doesn't think he can find time to do it. I on the otherhand, am willing to work MORE and go to school full time still just for him to be able to get this done. WHILE WE'RE STILL YOUNG.
    KotaElle

Answer by KotaElle at 12:50 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• If the two of you are going to have a financially secure future, he needs to finish his education: get a GED and get his butt in college. This will also set a great example for your child.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:13 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• THANK YOU! Finally someone that is thinking straight....
    KotaElle

Answer by KotaElle at 12:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I have to agree with rkoloms, Unless he has some learning problems or test taking issues he should be able to pass the GED with little to no effort. It really is a very easy test. Getting this guy into a real profession where he might actually be able to be the sole support of his family will be a much tougher battle than just passing a minimum requirements test. The GED was invented for people like my grandfather who had to drop out in 8th grade to work the farm so they could prove that yes they could read and do the other basics, so they could move forward in their education and take advantage of the GI bill.
    Anonymous