what are my rights??

im 35-36 weeks at this point if I go in to labor, and they dont stop it can I ask for my water to be broken??? to speed things up???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• yes u can ask but that doesnt mean they will do it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Unless you are carrying multiples, you are premature. The docs will do everything they can to keep you stable AND pregnant. 35-36 weeks pregnant means 33-34 weeks pregnant to doctors. Grab a book, it's going to be a while longer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• You have to wait till at least 37 weeks to be considered full term, and they won't do anything before 41 weeks to "move things along." So relax and find something to do. They most likely will try stripping the membranes first, when and if you're overdue. Breaking the bag runs the risk of infection. I think you have to already be in labor for them to do that.
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 2:16 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Bookebella, I stated if I am already in labor, took over 40 hours last time just to get to 4cm and they broke my water and she was born with in 3 hours I would to speed things up this time..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Already in labor or not they will NOT break you water that early. They WILL make you sit there and try to keep the baby in there as long as possible. I have known people whose water broke on its own and they were dialated to 4 - 5 cm they were put on strict hospital bedrest and try to NOT go any farther.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:38 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• you should really do your research on that first. there are risks to having your water broken.

http://www.birthingnaturally.net/barp/membranes.html

....increases the danger of fetal infection from vaginal exams and/or inserted instruments. (Such infections can of course be cured with antibiotics, but that process can mean considerable discomfort and many extra days in the hospital, as several of the women in my study discovered.)....A further hazard of amniotomy is that without the protective cushion of the amniotic fluid the baby's head is subject to greater pressure during contractions, and the umbilical cord is more likely to become compressed, resulting in oxygen deprivation and consequent respiratory distress. Cord prolapse is also more common after amniotomy (Pritchard and MacDonald 1985:289). Moreover, unruptured membranes often cushion not only the fetal head but also the mother's perineum....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• You did not state that you you ARE in labor. but if you do go into labor now...like someone else already said...the dr will do everything to keep you pregnant. 35-36 weeks is still to early. you want your baby the have no problems when he/she is born. even if you have to wait 5 more weeks and it takes 40 hours again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• It isn't a matter of rights. It is a matter of your negotiation skills. So if you plan to negotiate getting them to break your water as part of your birth plan you better go do mega research on the risks and benefits so you don't look like an idiot. If you have no medial training and no ability to do it yourself then you are relying on the medical professionals to agree with you. Personally I don't think too many medical professionals would agree to speed up delivery of a premie. but as you get closer to 39-42 weeks then they would be more interested in your opinion. Every labor is different. You might be delivering in the car this time. Good luck.

Anonymous