breastfeeding

I have been breastfeeding my daughter exclusively for almost 4 months and CANNOT get her to take a bottle at all. I've been trying to get her to take one since she was 10 weeks. I'm not trying to stop breast feeding but would like a little flexibility. Due to hubby's job, it's just me right now and will be for a while longer. any suggestions on how to get this baby girl to take a bottle?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:38 AM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• there is a need for a bottle, my sanity!! I am not trying to stop breastfeeding, and give her expressed breastmilk in the bottles. I just want to be able to give her a bottle now and then if we are in public or if i have an appontment instead of having to stop mid eye exam to nurse. and there is no one other than me to give her bottles. i suppose it will have to wait a few more months until daddy gets home...
    thanks for the suggestions ladies!
    Anonymous

• if you find a way...please let me know lol!! DS will be four months on the 27th and has refused a bottle since day one...not even with BM in it...
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 2:44 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• We use Playtex Ventiare Wide bottles with the slow flow nipple- you want to use a bottle that has a wide nipple so that he has to use the same latch he does when he's breastfeeding, and slow flow nipples so that he still has to work for it.

The best thing you can do is to have somebody else give her the bottle- she is way more likely to take it. Have that person imitate how you feed her- if you use a boppy, if you're topless have them try to have some skin-to-skin contact. Take off a shirt you've worn all day and slide it in between her and that person so that your daughter smells you.

Some more information would be helpful- are you planning on leaving her with a sitter? Or do you want to bottle feed her sometimes for some reason? And what are you putting in the bottle? Breastmilk or formula?
    Good Luck!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 3:35 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Someone else needs to give her the bottle when you are not there. It may help if she is wrapped in a tshirt that you have slept in.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:55 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• If you want to bottle feed please consider only using expressed breast milk. The dangers from formula are slow and played down by the formula companies. Research this? [I have to say that. Forgive me if it's irritaing but I learned the hard way :(

Try giving it to her on a spoon for a while. Some babies prefer that. OR if she uses a pacifier get her a medicinal one, one that you can put small amouths of medicine inside. If you need or want to use formula, I'd still say try getting her onto taking breastmilk from a medicinal pacifier or bottle first before changing the taste too with introducing formula at the same time.

UKMAma
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• You could try a sippy with the valve removed or a syringe. IF you're not apart very long she wouldn't need much milk. (They usually only take 1 oz / hour BM or so at that age.. up to 1.25 oz / hour .. and sometimes won't even take any and just nurse more when with the mother like they slept for a few hours or something) ..

Flexibility ? Breastfed babies are REALLY flexible. You just take them with you everywhere in a sling and pop out your boob and put it in their mouth. No bottles, washing, sitting, or anything necessary unless they have a dirty diaper. Some babies need burped but my son never burped so I gave up after 2 months and he burps once in a while on his own now but.. Really what is preventing you from doing what you want?

Do you want to "go out" somewhere without baby? Then like I said syringe/sippy they're better anyway. If you want to BRING BABY then why do you need her to take bottles at all?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• UKmama I don't think she wants to use formula or stop nursing I think she just wants to get away from her baby for a couple hours sometimes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• There's no need for a bottle right now. Especially if it's just you. Now if you want to leave baby with a sitter, then pick a bottle (I recommend playtex bottles w/the bag inserts) and let the sitter give it to her. And yes wrap baby in a shirt or something you've worn. But honestly if she smells you, and yes she knows your scent, she's going to expect a nice warm mama as compared to a rubbery synthetic. It always better to allow someone other than you to start a bottle. Then of course still nurse her as much as you can to keep up supply. I also recommend Avent hand held pump. It's less expensive and, in my experience, expressed more milk than the hospital grade electric pumps.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:56 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• OK. YOU must NOT be the one to give it. MUST NOT. Becaue she will never take it from YOU, so no need to waste your time on this.

Hand baby to caregiver, LEAVE. Out of the house. Baby will NOT starve herself. When hungry she WILL eat. In fact, most babies are quite happy to take a bottle or a sippy cup from ANYONE who is Not The Momma as long as mom is not present.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:03 PM on Apr. 22, 2010