My daughter is continuously spitting out food...HELP!

Okay so my daughter is only 2yrs old, but I posted this in that age group and all I got was "my kid does the same thing"...so I'm hoping some of you Moms have had success with stopping/preventing this. Basically she recently got into this habit where she spits food out. It's food she likes to- and maybe some she doesn't but there's no great distinction. She chews it then spits it out. I thought she was full so I'd take the food away but then she gets upset and is clearly not done eating. Is this really just a phase or is there anything I can do besides say "don't spit out your food" (which doesn't work)?? Any advice is much appreciated :D

lexi8622

Asked by lexi8622 at 2:43 AM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My sisters kids did this all the time, in out in out gross & disgusting!! LOL I know why you want it stopped. Is it with all food or just when she is feeding her self or snacks or??? For some kids eating is a very tactile experience and they want to feel everything. Others like the taste but don't want to swallow it. Make a sandwich it was cut into 16 small squares just enough to be a mouthful. Be a bit tough & say " in your mouth" in a firm voice - then if she spits it out say "No! yuck", quickly take her out of the high chair & put her on the floor. She will cry guaranteed, wait 5 minutes ignoring the crying. Now put her on your lap & give her a small piece. Say it again. As soon as she spits it out, put her off your lap again. She will quickly learn which behaviour you don't like.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 3:28 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• PS you'll probably have to repeat it a few times, and tomorrow morning again, but she wants to make you happy so she will figure it out. Good Luck
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 3:29 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I noticed my 2 1/2 year old was doing that but I was like you and just thought he was being picky. Turns out he had very large tonsils and he had trouble swallowing, mostly meat and other foods if he took large bites. Soft foods like yogurt or apple sauce he was fine with. Not sure if this is even the case for you but I thought I would throw it out there just in case. Now since he is fully recovered he eats meat and most foods again!
    Anonymous

• When one of my twins did this at that same age this was my solution: 1. he had to clean up the mess (he was throwing and spitting food) and the meal was over. (I'd let him have milk shortly after but nothing else.)
    At the next meal, I wouldn't give him a plate. I'd give him one bite at a time from my plate and praise, praise, praise him for eating his food and not spitting/throwing it. If he spit or threw food, I'd end the meal again. After a day or two of him eating from my plate and not spitting/throwing food I'd give him a plate with just a bite or two worth of food on it and again offer lots of praise for eating his food/using good table manners. I think the combination of going hungry and having to clean up the mess did the trick. it won't hurt her to go hungry and you'll allow her liquid so she won't get dehydrated.
    I will say this didn't extinguish the problem the first time around. He'd be good for awhile then slip
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:52 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• con'td but it always did the trick and after a couple of times, it did take care of the problem.

The boys are almost 3.5 and he will OCCASIONALLY revert to his old ways but all we have to tell him is that the meal will be over if he doesn't stop and that's usually enough.
    Hang in there!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:53 PM on Apr. 22, 2010