Do you think that ADHD is ...new?

And by new i mean, only started affecting children in the last 100 years or so.
I think it's safe to say that it's probably not new, but is more easily triggered with all the TV and chemically enhanced foods.

...But what did parents do for these kids before meds?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 AM on Apr. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• It not new, but the better understanding of it is. Even in the past 10 years or so people have learned or about, and how to "cope" with kids who have ADHD.
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 4:21 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• went crazy LOL ! The kids who genuinely had ADHD were the ones who got the cane all the time, were called deliquents, got into trouble, were guided into the army or labour jobs which kept them active.
    These days many kids have ADHD and are medicated. There are also many kids who are just undisciplined and hard to control and they are also medicated. Some kids just have trouble concentrating in class - this too is diagnosed as ADD ( without the hyperactivity) and medicated Every mother of each of those kids really genuinely believes they have the disorder and needs the medication. Sad, hard to swallow, bound to piss some Moms off but true.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 3:35 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Most ADHD can be treated with behavior therapy (it can be a life advantage), dietary changes and supplementation.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:49 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• There are natural things you can use before the heavy meds. I know many parents that have tried a particular natural product and find it is working! Check out some facts first! Good luck!
    Moriah
    MoriahL

Answer by MoriahL at 8:46 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• To Anon:10....ummm, I was born in the 60's, too, as was my brother. I have HFA and he ADHD, so maybe you were just lucky. As for the vaccines, children receive waaaay more vaccines now than they did when we were kids, so the direct chemical exposure has increased, plus we have considerably more frankenfood now than exisited in the 60's.

To the OP.....No, ADHD is not new, it is just more prevalent. For those who had ADHD "back in the day", they often became criminals (many of them quite brilliant, too), laborers, adventurers, inventors, entrepaneurs, snake oil salesmen, or went into the military. It all depended on their environment & advantages while growing up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• my guess would be that 100 years ago kids had a lot more outdoor time...even if you think little house on the prairie, i don't think kids had to spend so much time sitting still. it seems to be pretty natural that kids should run climb and jump around. to me it seems unnatural to be cooped up in a classroom all day, and then many kids are in some sort of care before and after school as well, then come home to do homework eat dinner and go to bed.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:37 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Parents actually DISCIPLINED their kids instead of drugging them up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Before meds, even 20 years ago, children were given more time to play & get their energy out. Children today do not have enough activity time.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:49 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• No, it's not new, it's just overly diagnosed now. I also totally agree with Anon:42 and motherofhope98.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:36 PM on Apr. 22, 2010