Yeah sure, I LOVE it when you come over to look in my fridge...WTH???

Okay, so my In-Laws come over and just like clockwork, they hug, and then head for my fridge and my pantry.

They have done this for as long as... well forever. They just rush into my kitchen and start going on and on... "Are those enough oranges? This is nearly enough eggs for those boys."

I've protested to it but it seems it falls on deaf ears. Whats so wierd is they'll excuse themselves and leave. Come back with bags of groceries that I have NO room for. I mean CRAP we dont need, nor do I want in my house.

Usually I bag all that stuff back up after they've gone(stuff for the fridge that I know would go bad before I get to use it) and give to my nieghbors or the local church the next day.

Does anyone elses in--laws do this?

4xsthetrouble

Asked by 4xsthetrouble at 5:16 AM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• That totally cracked me up! My Mom goes on a "is it clean binge" and my MIL looks to see if I have gained any weight. It is just like you said-like clock work EVERY TIME!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:35 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Nope I don't have that problem. The only thing we argue over food wise is she thinks everything needs to be fried while I do not fry anything. I do find it weird that they do that though. I'm sure your neighbors and the church appreciate it though.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 5:35 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Sense nothing will sway them from there snooping and buying you food you do not want or need. When they come next time. Have a grocery list for them. Tell them the truth. If you do not buy this food. I will just give the food away. Like I have been doing.

Answer by louise2 at 5:38 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Wow. How gracious you are. Perhaps they think you are hurting financially. Most older people believe in stocking up. Apparently you don't.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:49 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Not my in-laws, but my Dad does this! Almost everytime he comes over he goes through every single cabinet and snoops in my fridge! It use to annoy me, but I'm use to it now, so I pick on him alot about how nosey he is, haha. He and my mom have bought groceries for my husband (then boyfriend) and I when we were dating one time. I had just graduate highschool, and we had got our first apartment, they came over to see the place, and when my Dad left, I guess he was really upset that we didn't have very many groceries (we hadn't had time to buy any yet because I literally moved out the day I graduated) Anyhow, they came back about 2 hours later with TONS of groceries and other things that we needed(shampoo,soap,new towels,brand new bedding, curtains, and more!!) I was SOOOO greatful! Even tho they were things that we were going to buy anyhow, it felt good that my parents cared enough to go out of their way to do that for us....
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 6:00 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I guess what I'm saying is, just be greatful that your in-laws care enough about your family to do that! Maybe next time they do it, sit down with them, tell them how much you appreciate it, but if they could buy things that your family actually eats that would be better, because you don't want to let anything go to waste. But, please do not tell them that you've been getting rid of the groceries they buy, that is rude.

Times are hard right now, and I know plenty of people that would be more than happy to have someone that cared enough to help them out a bit with groceries... and they would find a way to make the things that were bought for them work... so be greatful. ;) Goodluck.
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 6:05 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Okay, let me clarfy. Its not that i'm not grateful ANON. But let me ask you. If your fridge and pantry r already full and I bought u bags of groceries thst u literally have NO room for... What will u do with it?

I have talked to them, but like i said, they continue to do it anyway which is y i have stopped protesting. I dont tell them that I donate it because it semms to make them happy to do this and i dont wanna hurt thier feelings. Not that theyd listen anyway.

I just wanted to know if anyone elses inlaws were that way.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 6:16 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• My exes parents would take it but never bring it, even though your pantry is full it must be nice that someone would care enough to bring it, my mom and dad would be quiet and leave after she would call and threaten to call CPS even though there was food.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:51 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Do you think they'd listen if you asked them not to buy things that will go bad? Like if you said "I have a lot of fruit and milk right now, if you bought me any more it would all go to waste. If you really want to get me something from the store It would be nice to have some more pasta, sauces, and canned goods. That way it won't go to waste." Or do they just do whatever they want?

My father in law likes to buy things for us in bulk. That is really nice of him BUT it's hard because like you I really don't have the space for it. I mean he'll show up with 24 LARGE cans of crushed tomatoes, or recently a BOX of sweet potatoes (that I haven't even started using yet!!). Once when he was married to my MIL he brought home 50 lbs of onions. It's nice, it's just too much!!!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 6:56 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Thats what I mean beck. Its a wonderful gesture and I am thankful that they care so much. BUT and there is a big BUT, they will buy SO much. For example: I had 6 bananas here because my boys usually eat 2 each and more than that they would just go bad. They asked y i did not have more and I gave them my explanation and they went to the store and came back with 12 bananas. NONE of which were eaten... and I got fruit flies from them going bad. I had a full pantry as well as a couple other cabinets, because I DO believe in stocking up on certian things. They SAW this and yet they bought me 15 cans of beets. Something NO ONE here eats. To help you all understand i'll list everything they JUST bought: 6 packs of hotdogs, 4 packs of hotdog buns, 2 boxes of ceral (to go along with the 2 we already had), 3 dozen eggs, 3 gallons of milk, 2 (24) pack of sliced cheese, 11 boxes of macaroni, 3 boxes of instant rice, & more than I can list
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 7:10 AM on Apr. 22, 2010