What have you done to be more earth friendly?

Over the past few years, what have you done to be more earth friendly? We have started recycling cans, glass, plastic, and paper. We have started using energy efficient light bulbs. We turn off appliances and lights when not in use. We wash clothes in cold water (except whites, towels, and sheets).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i recycle, do not have my own washer and dryer also I either walk ride a bike or join a carpool.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:19 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• One of the great benefits of being earth friendly is saving money!
    We walk or take public transit instead of driving
    We bring our own bags to the grocery store.
    We wash our laundry in cold water; most hang dry.
    We use cloth napkins and towels instead of paper
    We make some of our own cleaning products

Answer by rkoloms at 8:24 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I do the typical stuff, lights off, reusable bags, recycle!
    I also switched all my products around the home to an eco-friendly company!
    They use all concentrated products so we reduce plastic!
    They also do not use any chemicals, or CFC that deplete the Ozone layer
    No chemicals that are bad for us or the environement! And to top it off I a save $ on all my products, YEAH!

Moriah
    MoriahL

Answer by MoriahL at 8:42 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• we do green nights, turning off everything except the frig. I took some old fabric my sister and I used to trade back and forth and made some shopping bags with it. switched to earth friendly light bulbs. they don't recycle anything here that I've found except aluminum, although we try to buy as many things as possible that are made with recycled items. Even the new drum DH got me for my birthday is from recycled stuff.
    On a more personal side, I switched over to using OB tampons quite a few years ago. It started cuz I was tired of going to get a standard applicator type out of my bathroom drawer and found that DD had taken them all. lol The plus side is they don't have nearly as much packaging or a cardboard/plastic tube to throw out.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 8:43 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• We use reusable grocery bags.
    We have Energy Star appliances.
    Wash all laundry in cold water unless there is something that needs to be sanitized in hot water (something worn to a hospital or that has fecal stains from my son's exploding diaper in it)
    We recycle all cans, plastic, glass, and cardboard.

My MIL has a house out on Prince Edward Island in Canada. They recycle EVERYTHING there! Everyone has a multi container trash can in their homes and outside. They have a compost can, a plastic can, a paper can, and a metal can, and finally a waste bin. Almost nothing goes in the waste bin - mostly diapers and personal feminine hygiene products. It's really neat, I wish we had it all over the place.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:59 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• we recycle, turn off water when brushing our teeth, energy efficeint light bulbs, cold water for wash... I would like to do more though!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I've always been earth friendly...even back in the day when i had to actually go to the recycling center to recycle, thank god they pick it all up nowa days! We NEVER use plastic bags. And we have such little trash since we recycle everthing, that we barely even go through a bbox of trash bags (we buy earth friendly trash bags when we can) We are reusing old water for our toilets. All the water from our showers & dish washing etc...all gets stored to use in our toilets (not sure exactly how the system works) That is something new we have been doing. We always collect rain water for our garden, & use compost & natural things for our soil. We only use natural soaps for laundry & dish washing & we also have solar panels for electricity. Yeah...we're crunchy hippies when it comes to being green. But, we've been pretty green for a long time now. Nothing new in our family.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:32 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• "They recycle EVERYTHING there"

They recycle everything here in Atlanta too. We don't even have to separate our recyclables. Just throw it all in one big fat bin, they they do the sorting for you. VERY cool!!!! And we have almost no trash!

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:34 AM on Apr. 22, 2010