Anyone else not need a piece of paper...???

I am always getting crap for not wanting to get married because I dont feel I need a piece of paper to know I love and will stay with them. I was just wondering if anyone else feels the same as I do or if I am all alone in this belief?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 8:09 AM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• Need it? No.
    Want it? Yes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:10 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I don't even believe in that piece of paper anymore. Every time I got one things changed and not for the better. I think not having the paper evens the playing field and gives women more power in the relationship. jmho

Answer by admckenzie at 8:11 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• A marriage license costs much less than all of the legal fees you would need to pay to get the same protections.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:25 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I feel the same way...a piece of paper doesn't determine how much you love someone. I got married at 19....we ended up getting a divorce (which turned out to be quite the hassle)....now we're back together and we don't plan on getting married again. We both know how much we love eachother and so do our friends and family. We don't need a piece of paper to tell us that. =)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I agree with rkoloms.

Answer by older at 8:32 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• After being married once and having him abandon me and our daughter, I doubt I'll ever get married again. It was such a hassle, and so costly, I ended up starving at one point in time just to make sure my child had food to eat. Without being married, my youngest is 100% legally mine and only mine. I can leave if I need to at any time and it isn't kidnapping. I can get government benefits if I absolutely need them, which will prevent me from ever having to go without food again. I don't ever have to sit in court for years, fighting over my child because my "husband" doesn't agree with the stipulations of the divorce. If worse comes to worse (which I hope it never happens, but you never know), I can move on and get the help I need. The only court I will have to deal with is the 1 time when the judge tells me how much child support I'll be getting. For me it is much better to not be married.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:35 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• its not about that. the government just wants everyone to be married so they can combine your income so those who are getting PA wont be able to get any or will get less.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:36 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• for me it wasn't about a piece of paper, it was because he and i wanted to get married
    Anonymous

• I think it is a personal decision. For me, that "piece of paper" is much more than that. It is a traditional and outward symbol of the love my husband and I share. It is more than a piece of paper, much more. If the paper were gone, the memories of the commitment would remain intact. For me, it was the outward professing of the commitment that we both felt for each other.
    However, if for you, you don't need that. Then I wouldn't do it. Who cares what anyone else thinks? Honestly, it is what you want.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I love my "piece of paper," and my husband. I don't think I have any "less power" because of it. If your relationship is a power struggle, then you have a litany of other issues to work through before you should even consider marriage. (Not aimed at the op, just at the general sentiment expressed in other posts).
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:01 AM on Apr. 22, 2010