Bathing with your child?

So call my lazy or whatever but I find it easier to just put my son in the shower with me that way I'm not rushing around trying to bathe the both of us. When is it not okay to do that? He's 15 months old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 AM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• to each their own.. i never took a bath with either of my kids, yeah it takes a little more time but i enjoy my bath or shower..it's the only time of day i'm actually alone with noone crawling all over me lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 8:41 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Dh is in the military and he went to a briefing before he deployed telling him when it was no longer okay to shower with your child of the opposite sex and they said by 3 so until our daughters 3rd birthday she would showere with him. I don't see anything wrong with it and plus your son is still very young! Hope that helps!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• ONLY ADULTS THINK THE CREEPY STUFF ABOUT THAT.

I bathed with my son till he was three or so, and started letting wash himself when he was five... there's no guarantee they'll care to be clean before that!

I bathe with my daughter most times now she'll be one in two weeks.

it's so much easier!

neither one of my kids have thought anything wierd or creepy about having momma make sure they're clean from head to toe and everywhere in between. the one on the way won't either.
    rucafox

Answer by rucafox at 8:53 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Wow, I love this. You're a fab and practical mama. Bathe with him until he can bath safely on his own if necessary, maybe later if he gets to enjoy it so well. I hate social constraints that interfere with natural practical mothering.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• actually I used the word "bathe" and that's untrue. I take showers... it creeps ME out sitting in water with dirty kids!

My son used to call the shower "rain" he was soooo freaking adorable :P once he got old enough to get in the shower by himself I let him play in there with a few toys for a short while before I'd go in and scrub him down.
    rucafox

Answer by rucafox at 8:55 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I still bathe sometimes, not all the times with my 2 yo son. it is very convient, so i dont have to let water in so he can taka bath then me take a shower...just a waiste of water. so i just take a shower with him an were both clean! i dont find ne thing wrong with it...but when he gets older maybe around 3 or so, I will stop an let him bathe with dad.
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 8:57 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• no i dont think theres anything wrong with that now, but i do agree that age 3 is probably my limit for opposite sex kids...i have jumped in the shower with my 5 year old dd just bc we were in a rush, and my 2 yr old still showers with me and his dad (he just loves the shower so he washes 2 or 3 times a day) and his sister!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 9:01 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Thanks for all the replys. I appreciate it. It is a lot easier especially since when I take a shower by myself my son with cry the whole time...so it's really not peace and quite time for me....I have to rush. lol I just put a few toys in the shower and he plays with those while Im washing myself then I wash him and we're done. So easy! He also loves the water from the shower....he didn't want to get out this morning.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I have just started having my son take a shower by himself and he's 4. He never made any mention of my private parts until very recently so we decided it was time for showers with Mama to stop. I think it's all about your child and what is appropriate for them. I do still bring his twin sister into the shower with me once in a while because she wants to "do it myself" but she horses around and I end up getting soaked anyway. He does a pretty good job and I usually only have to help with his hair.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Apr. 22, 2010