Would you take your children in public filthy...dirty soles of feet, finger and toenails packed with dirt, faces sticky?

I am babysitting a 4 year old who comes to me dirty everyday. Even her clothes are not clean. I know her mom puts her to bed that way because she arrives at my home at 6 am. Would it be inappropriate for me to bathe her and clip her nails, and wash her clothes? We go out in public all the time with my clean child and I don't want people thinking bad things.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Apr. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• poor baby! yeah i'd clean her up, if the mom asks just say she got really dirty at your house & spitl stuff on herself and you gave her a bath & washed her clothes... i used to bathe my brother's kids when they stayed with me because they were always dirty
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 8:39 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• haha. I did yesterday. I went to pick him up from preschool and they had changed his clothes because his spilled soup all over his good clothes so he was wearing green jogging pants and a brown dinosaur t-shirt. The jogging pants were way to short but i had really planned on going grocery shopping. I told the teacher i was still going but i was embarrassed at how homely he looked...she was like "oh thats okay, in and out"...i went and made him sit in the buggy..heehee.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:42 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I'd clean her up one time and then gauge the reaction of the mom when she picks her up on if you should do it again.

Have I ever taken my kid out in public dirty? Yes. We will go to the park and she'll play in the dirt or sand or anything and get FILTHY...and many time after that we need to stop somewhere on the way home (like grocery store for milk...which means we can't go before she gets filthy...).
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:43 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I would definitely bathe her and clip her nails. If you have her everyday, you could even have a few extra outfits you keep at your house that are clean and that she wears when she is with you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:43 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• my kid is NEVER dirty though
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:43 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• The only problem with the bath is she will be naked-you need to check with the parent before you bathe her child. I would hate for you to get into trouble when your intentions are good.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:44 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• you should def ask before giving the child a bath. You could probaby get in trouble for that if you don't have the mothers permission
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:44 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• If her clothes are dirty that means she is put in dirty ones in the morning- I had a kid like that, you do not want them around your children. I know it is not the child's fault, that poor kid is going to get picked on at school. Sometimes my kids play outside and get drity then i run to a store- ooh well. I bath them everyday though. No reason for a filthy kid at 6 am
    Maybe talk with mom- I know really hard to do!
    Moriah

Working From Home and Lovin it!
    MoriahL

Answer by MoriahL at 8:45 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Go ahead and clean her, but stop at the finger nail clipping. When I worked in a daycare we were not allowed to clip finger nails because it was a liability. It was actually considered a medical procedure. If you plan on giving her a bath ask the mother first. I'd say something like "Now that it's getting warmer out we are going outside more and the kids are just playing in the sand and dirt all the time! Haha, would you mind if I put the kids in the tub in the morning or afternoon if they get dirty?" That way you are not pointing a finger at her and it is less confrontational, but you still have permission.

Good luck!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:48 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• how awful :( pamper that baby girl she deserves it. and ignore her mom's probable huffs of indignation.
    rucafox

Answer by rucafox at 8:49 AM on Apr. 22, 2010