• In the Spotlight:

Mirena question

I can't believe there isn't a "birth control" category!! Anyhow, I got the Mirena put in on tuesday (today is thursday) and I was wondering if some of the side effects I'm having are normal. My doctor didn't give me very much information & I should have asked but after waiting an hour than having that put in me, all I wanted to go was get home! For anyone who has it, did your breasts get sore? One of mine is SUPER sore like when you're pregnant. I know the cramping is normal but for about how long does that last? Thanks for any help!

CrystalJanie

Asked by CrystalJanie at 8:45 AM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Health

• well from my experience its like the instant they put mirena in your body thinks its preggo! i had so many pregnancy symptoms is was googling one every day. my boobs were sore, i had cramps, my boobs would leak if squeezed, my dischanrge was different, i even felt little thuds and bumps in my belly like a baby was kicking me, i thought i was crazy until i googled that too and saw i was far from the only one who was experiencing it...btw i have had it for almost 2 years and other than preggo symptoms it has been good to me
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 8:52 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I can't believe your doctor didn't give you much info- mine sent me with a HUGE pamphlet full of everything I needed to know and more. It would scare me to death to have something inserted into me without knowing everything I could first!

But yes, that is normal. The cramping could last anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks... though it shouldn't be too bad. If it is too much, you'll need to call him back! But, I was pretty darn crampy for 5 full days! You may also experience quite a bit of spotting for a couple of months- as your body gets used to it...
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 11:58 AM on Apr. 22, 2010