What does this mean??

Dh bought a car from a local mechanic/dealer. When it came time to do the BMV thing we realized this guy was pretty shady and had done some funny stuff with the title. The dealers name was not on the title at all, he made it look like we bought the car from the woman he get it from. But we got it all straigtened out. I have esurance, and I added the car last week. I got an email today saying that they won't insure the car because has a restored or salvaged title... what does this mean?? Is there soemthing wrong with the title?

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 9:01 AM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• A salvage title typically means at some point in the vehicle’s history the car has been claimed a total loss by an insurance company because of an accident or flood damage. It can even happen in some states if it’s a recovered stolen vehicle – so all pretty much not good things. Also, government agencies routinely test new vehicles, and cars sold after the government gets its use out of them are given a salvage title as well.

Found that here
    http://ask.cars.com/2008/05/salvage-title.html

Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 9:04 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• my husband works for a man that buys autos from police impound auction and all the vehicles come with title, not from the PD, but from the owner. It's not some shady situation with the title, as some of his customers assume, belive me I end up dealing with them, but a simple lack of clarity for the situation. ... LIke, there's no regulation for 3rd prty purchases.... the mechanics don't have to have their names on the title because they're not driving, they're upgrading.
    rucafox

Answer by rucafox at 9:07 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I am surprised that they will not insure it. My Mom inspects rebuilt/salvage vehicles for the Highway Patrol and has been doing it for 30 years, she has said she has seen cars rebuilt better than the manufactured could have done. These days it is VERY easy for a title to get salvaged or rebuilt. Insurance totals vehicles out over a dent or a theft where the hood is missing. There really isn't much you can do now except try to sell it or go to another insurer. If it were me I would go to Carfax and see what exactly went on with the vehicle.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 9:45 AM on Apr. 22, 2010