Happy Earth Day!! Any simple tips for going green???

skittles1108

Asked by skittles1108 at 9:18 AM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• If you're not using it, unplug it.....and that goes for everything. Get one of those things you can plug lots of stuff into (sorry brain fart, can't think of what it's called right now) and when you go to bed at night just hit the off switch on all of them and it will save you lots of money.
    NatesMommy118

Answer by NatesMommy118 at 9:21 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• A surge protector NatesMommy118? Good idea BTW! Also use vinegar to clean with, and newspaper on windows instead of paper towels.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:23 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Reusable bags. I love them and it really cuts down on the plastic and paper bags you bring home. Also some stores give you credit if you bring them in. The grocery store I go to most often gives five cents for every bag you use that trip.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Shop at thrift stores and yard sales. Reduce, REUSE, recycle!

Donate to thrift stores or use Freecycle to find homes for items you no longer use.

Think twice before you buy. About half of what we buy ends up as junk in the basement a few years down the road.

Don't fall for "green" hype. A t-shirt from the thrift store is "greener" than a trendy new hemp one.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:37 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• REDUCE, Reuse, recycle! Reduce use first- do not buy what you do not need, then reuse what your already have (refill plastic bottles), lastly recycle.

Vinegar, Lemon juice and baking soda are your friends. Each makes a great cleaning product.

Cloth napkins over paper-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:44 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I find it absolutely amazing that people on CM are all hyped up about celebrating Earth Day, when they're using their computers, which, unless your home is powered by the sun or a horse running around in a circle, uses energy and electricity.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Save water by following these basic rules:

If it's yellow, let it mellow.  If it's brown, flush it down.    OR

In the land of fun and sun, we don't flush for number one.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• In the land of fun and sun, we don't flush for number one.

Being a germaphobe, I don't particularly want to go in a toilet someone did not flush, ONE or TWO.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:05 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Be aware of "green consumerism" that end up being worse for the planet.

It's better to keep driving your old car, than to the put the planet through the entire manufacturing process of making an "eco car."

It's better to keep using your old bag that still works than to go out and buy a new "eco bag."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• My computer is powered by electricity from a hydroelectric dam...very green!

I do a LOT of composting! I don't just do food or plant material. Newspaper, paper towels, paper napkins, paper plates all compost very well and make the most fabulous soil!

Living frugally can natually be very green. I did the carbon footprint test for us and we are way under the average...and I drive an SUV and my hubby drives a big 4 door truck.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:03 AM on Apr. 22, 2010