no schooling??

I heard on the radio today about something called no schooling, and no it's not "normal" homeschooling. The child stays home, but there are no books, no tests, no cirriculum. I get that a FEW families could use this type of education successfully, but I don't see it working for most children. What do you think?????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• is is called unschooling
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:34 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• It's called unschooling and it is the best decision my family ever made. I think the first thing to understand is that conventional schooling takes life out of context and breaks it down into subjects like "math", "history", "social studies", etc. Unschooling IS life, in context...so at any given moment my children are absorbing a wide variety of "subjects" and it is easier to learn and apply logic when knowledge is acquired this way. All the things learned in school will eventually be learned in daily life or they didn't need to be learned in the first place. People usually freak about that idea but seriously, much of what we study in school is useless trivia. The stuff we remember is what we actually use or enjoyed learning. My kids learn the same way I do as an adult...we pick up a book, we look at websites, we experiment, we seek professional advice or mentors and yes, we may take a class.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I'm 10:00, cont.

I just wanted to say that the media is making unschooling seem like this freakish act of neglect and that is so far from the truth. I spend every day with my children, answering questions and facilitating their daily activities. If I don't know the answer to something, the kids and I research until we find the answer or enough information to form our own opinions. Dh and I say "yes" a lot...yes to digging a hole in the yard to see how many creatures they can identify, yes to dragging sticks into the yard to recreate a beaver dam, yes to playing my dd's favorite addition game "1,000,000 + x = y" even if it is NOT my favorite-lol. The media keeps focusing on what unschooling "is not" instead of what it IS...a different way to raise happy, independent and intelligent children to adulthood.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• To anon :06

It is the same for any type of homeschooling. Records are maintained and used to create transcripts (in my state we keep portfolios and logs and have annual evaluations by a certified teacher) and the unschooler satisfies the application process for their desired college. Most people don't realize that a GED or diploma isn't even required to attend college (though these can be obtained if a homeschooler chooses) and many unschooling teens opt for dual enrollment. I know of a surprising number who have completed undergrad studies by their 20th birthday! Amazing to me but these kids tend to know who they are and what they want to do with their lives...there's no need to "find themself" in college, they just go do the work and get to the business of living! The military wants that ged or diploma, and like I said, those can be obtained if that is the unschooler's goal. Getting a job works the same.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I also want to add that unschoolers tend to be very resourceful and independent so many find means of self employment. This is what I see in my oldest dd's future. She is very creative and self-disciplined...she's been brainstorming business ideas since she was 3, no joke. We do whatever we can to encourage that spirit. Last summer at the age of 6, she ran her own organic produce stand. She learned a lot about effective marketing...what kind of signs were most eye catching, where to place a limited amount of advertising to maximize her customer flow, how to price things to encourage purchases without unnecessarily cutting into profits. Just yesterday some random lady walked past while I was tending our flower beds and she asked when dd's stand would reopen. Looks like dd's back in business this summer...she's already working on expanding into some starter plants. She's always planning. delete your answer
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• oops for "delete your answer"...I forgot to anon and had to cut and paste. I've been harassed in the past on CM for being an unschooler by ladies who aren't curious, they are just aggressively judgmental.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• (OP) Very interesting!!! That's not the way they made it sound on the radio this morning. I'm actually a teacher myself, and I love my job!! Homeschooling seems like it would be awesome but it just doesn't fit into my life (single, broke mom). I'm always curious to learn more about it. Thanks for the info!!
    Anonymous