Mornin ladies. My 15 yr old son got caught w/ a pk of cigs, put in alternative school. But I am wanting to just home school him. Any advice or tips? I checked w/ K12 & they are not enrolling 8th graders right now.

BAADsMOM

Asked by BAADsMOM at 9:31 AM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• they put him in alt school just for getting caught with a pack of cigs?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:32 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I would home school him. I had drug problems when I was younger and have made a rule in my home if my child does anything like that he will be home schooled until futher notice so I can keep up with what's going on with him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• That's pretty harsh for a first time offense of having cigarettes. My dd only got suspension for 3 days. Talk to the School Board about homeschooling rules.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:34 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• sounds like my teen yrs.
    dont freak about the cigs.
    and dont shipur kid off anywhere else. keep him, even when it gets difficult. i promise, in the end you will save him and you a lot of heartache.
    school's almost out for the year. why not just keeping him out? might not work if you have a job tho...
    hes cryingfor attn
    rucafox

Answer by rucafox at 9:36 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• No, they did not put him in alt. school for a pack of cigs- there are obviously other issues.

If you feel that you can home school him successfully and keep him out of trouble, I say go for it!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Yes, it was his 1st offense. I agree it was pretty harsh! He actually wants to be home schooled, :) They gave him til the end of the school yr. When this happened he was living with his Dad. Now that he's back with me, things are much better. Any of ya'll home schooling?
    BAADsMOM

Answer by BAADsMOM at 9:42 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I agree with you Fox, he needed his Momma....
    BAADsMOM

Answer by BAADsMOM at 9:44 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• ummmm he's 15 and in 8th grade? Cigarettes are not the problem here.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• maybe you should talk to the principle or the school board and ask if you can have one more chance
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 11:40 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• What do you think homeschooling will do? Shelter him from the world? Keep him from smoking? Keep him from meeting kids who are bad infleunces? Do you plan on keeping him home 24/7? That isn't always how it works.

And to the other poster....what does being 15 in the 8th grade mean? I have a son who was born in August '90 and he started K (because of developmental issues related to Aspergers) when he was 7. He was 15 all through his 8th grade year. He's now 19 and a Senior, he's never failed, he's an honors student, is11th in his graduating class and a member of the National Honors Society. He has never gotten a grade under a B in his life. There are 5 other students who are older (all born in 1990, though) than him in his grade level & they were all helpd back between K-3 because of maturity issues. Maybe the OP's son was held back in the early grades because he wasn't quite as mature as the others in his grade.
    Anonymous