Was anyone watching American Idol when they showed the table filled with food that the charity bought for only $10? Did you get angry?

I do not know about you, but I want to know where they are getting food for that price? I just went grocery shopping and I swear my food bill has gone up at least 5% from last month. I was so frustrated when I saw that last night because we buy our food frugally, yet I could not even purchase/grow food to feed my family for that price. If the working poor could buy food for those prices they would not need food stamps to feed their family. The dollar they worked very hard for would go a lot farther. It just seemed so backwards that a charity can buy food for those prices yet the working man cannot and has to go to the government or that charity to feed their family. Does anyone else feel that there is something wrong with this picture?

lori232

Asked by lori232 at 9:36 AM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• it is purchased at such a large quantiy that it drops the price
    the same concept as Angel Food Ministires
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:38 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• When I saw the amount of food for only $10 my first thought was "Wow, that's a lot of food, $10 really goes far to help!" I didn't think about it the way you are...but now that you mention it I think you have a really good point. $10 wouldn't get me very far at all to feed my family of 5...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I agree with peanuts the price drops for charities and mass quantities. But I see your point!

Answer by older at 9:47 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Did you get angry?
    Hmmmm....I think you mean to say......Did you get jealous.
    Why would anyone get angry over what someone else got or had or did, unless you were jealous.
    Instead of getting jealous/angry why don't you use your emotions to find out how and where they did it and start doing the same.
    I feed 5 of us for the most part on $400 a month. But because we really no longer need to be frugal I do spend more on going out to dinner, I enjoy that in my older years. But still, If I had to today as I did in the past I can make a meal to feed 5 people for about 5 bucks or less.
    I don't care what anyone else has or does, I do for me and mine and educate myself on how to not spend money on wasteful grocery products to begin with.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:59 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Didn't see it. I don't watch AI on the give back night b/c they support UNICEF who also supports Planned Parenthood.

$10 wouldn't go too far for me and I shope store brands only.
    Luvmylilmonkies

Answer by Luvmylilmonkies at 9:59 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I feed 7 for $300. But yeah I wish I could get food for that. BUT IT IS HELPING THOSE IN NEED. bUT MAN WOULDN'T IT BE NICE IF WHEN i WENT TO Sam's club I COULD GET FOOD FOR THAT MUCH.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 10:04 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Yes jewjewbee I got angry and why the nastiness towards me? I am angry for the working poor that work very hard for the very little they get paid and yet still have to go for a hand out from charities and the government. You yourself just proved that you could not buy that much food for only $10. The point of my question was that if the poor could buy food for those prices then they would not need social programs like food stamps to buy their food. They could buy the food themselves and be independent of the government or others for basic subsistence.
    lori232

Answer by lori232 at 10:17 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Why would I get angry? I am grateful for people and organizations out there who help people. I would rather places like Feeding America help people than the Federal Government. IMO~When organizations, churches, and individuals do it out of the kindness of their heart, they help build a sense of community. A sense of pride and are able to lift people's confidence in a way that encourages them to 'pay it foward'. It's a win win!!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:25 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• no nastiness, why so defensive?
    Your question is-did you get angry?
    My answer is-Why would anyone get angry over what someone else got or had or did, unless you were jealous.
    Post a question, put your big girl panties on,- you'll get at least one answer you don't like.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:32 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• A hand out is still a hand out regardless if it comes from the government or a charity. I could see a charity being needed if there was a temporary set back in income. However, these are people that are working and still cannot afford food for their families. These charities are not being used for short periods of time to get past whatever event that lead to them needing the help. These charities have clients that have been coming to them for years, because their paycheck does not cover the basics, EVER. So my question is why are you not angry that a single parent, elderly person on SS, a single person working minimum wage cannot afford food on their incoming income alone? That charities and government assistance are becoming a way of life for these people?
    lori232

Answer by lori232 at 10:51 AM on Apr. 22, 2010