For those of you who agree with the Arizona bill on Illegal Immigrants...

What do you think goes into becoming Legal in this country? I mean I see everyone saying that they should go back to their country and enter here legally? Does anyone know what the immigration process consist of? For those of you saying that they need to learn how to speak English why? USA has NO official language; it's a melting pot here in case you haven't noticed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I am against this bill. I don't like the idea of carrying papers around to get from place to place. Its too Nazi Germany to me. It stomps all over our liberties and freedoms. I do however also think if your in this country you should be here legally.
    AutumnLybbie

Answer by AutumnLybbie at 9:48 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• America's language is English, unless I missed something.. My Hubby did come here 11 yrs ago, from England, and became a permanent resident. He knows what it consists of and it's not that difficult. The people that are coming over illegally are over here to make fast cash, and then send back to their family members in their home country. They don't pay taxes, don't benefit society, and get everything free at our expense, so now tell me why they come here illegally? Not because it's hard, but because they know once their here they will fit in with the "melting pot" and live off of us... JMO BTW...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:51 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Does anyone know what the immigration process consist of? For those of you saying that they need to learn how to speak English why? USA has NO official language; it's a melting pot here in case you haven't noticed.

People used to immigrate here to live the AMERICAN dream.. They acclimated to OUR way of life. Now they expect us to accommodate them. It is the slow destruction of American values. And yes I know what the process consists of. My SIL went through it.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:01 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I am a legal immigrant! I came over from South Africa almost 5 years ago. It is a long and expensive process, however it is worth it and I am So glad I did it! The process is the same for anyone from any country . NO matter what language they speak.However gang violence in Arizona has sky rocketed and it is directly linked to the the Mexican Drug cartels so, I think it is a law they need to have for the safety of the residents of Arizona!
    TakeNoticeNow

Answer by TakeNoticeNow at 10:04 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I have 2 sil's that have proudly gone through the proper protocol to be legal citizens of the US. As well as two friends who have gone through the process. We have talked about their journey's and NONE of them would have changed a thing. My brother said of his wife who became legal before they were married~To do it legally and do it right took all of her strength; built her pride and showed tremendous dedication~ than to have illegally conned the system.

The US has a system in place for becoming a citizen. Does it need to be reformed? Yes.  Does that ENTITLE some to be given a free pass to ILLEGALLY come into this nation?  No.  jmo

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:17 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• People have become citizens of this country the legal way for a long time now. Any other country has no problem enforcing their laws. Because we are America we shouldnt? We have so many of our own who are struggling and depending on the government for aid. Automatically giving those benefits to someone who comes here illegally encourages that behavior. I agree with Arizona. Send them home. Let them come back the proper way. According to the Constitution (which hasnt been totally eradicated so far, states have the right to make laws for themselves. )
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 10:19 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I agree with these other ladies.The federal government hasn't been enforcing our laws.They have not been doing what IS required of them instead they are getting more and more involved in other things that is not their job and was never meant to be their job.I think Arizona has had enough since the federal government won't do its job they feel they have to do something.There is only so much of this bs folks can take.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:53 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I just had to laugh at the "carrying papers" comment! We have been "carrying papers" for decades! Your driver's license or ID, military ID, student ID, passport, birth certificate, social security card, insurance card, library card, vehicle registration, grocery store discount card-------------these are all PAPERS!

This law will simply make people prove they are a citizen and considering the extreme violence associated with the illegals I would say it is entirely justified.

Immigrants should assimilate into our society if they don't then eventually we will lose what makes us American. Having to provide for mulitiple languages is very expensive! Come here legally, learn the language and become an American....otherwise STAY HOME we don't need you.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:55 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I'd like to know what you are really saying? You think these illegals should be able to just come in and live here while gaining our benefits, using our hospitals to make American citizens by having babies and crowding our schools and all because it might be HARD to do it legally? YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:27 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Difficulty doesn't equate "right to be ignored." There are multiple paths for legal entry into the United States. Just because it's a laborious process doesn't mean illegal immigration should be acceptable.

There is no legally declared 'official' language in the United States. There should be. For how long did we have an unofficial primary language. People came here - and they learned to speak English. This idea that needing to learn English upon immigration is relatively new.
    Anonymous