Breast feeding at 15 months what about cow milk?

My son is 15 months and still nursing. I am wondering how I am going to stop when it is time, also when is it time? He nurses before every nap. Also he doesn't drink much cow milk. Should he be? It is going to be hard to stop nursing because he has no interest in stopping and is already into sipppy cups....please advise

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well at 15 months he should be using a cup, if you want to give him breast milk, pump and put in a cup
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• ask your ped. he needs more fat than is in your breast milk and cows milk can provide that. Jsut ask your ped how to transition him. If I were you I would be ready to get him off the breast and on to cows milk!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• At 15 months, my kids were still very much nursing and using a cup as well. They mostly weaned themselves one at age 2 and the other at almost 3, both with a little encouragement from me. You should nurse as long as both you and your baby want to. The AAP recomends at least 1yr. and then as long thereafter as both mother and child desire, the WHO recomends at least 2yrs. and as long thereafter as both mother and child wish.

As for cow's milk, he doesn't need any if he's nursing at least 4x per day. However, if you wish to give him some in addition to nursing that is fine as well. I usually introduced cow's milk at about 15 months, just once per day in their cups. My kids started drinking from a cup at 6 months. Toddlers who are not nursing only need 12-16oz. of milk/dairy per day, so toddlers who are nursing don't even need that much.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 12:08 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Cont'.
    In the second year (12-23 months), 448 mL of breastmilk provides:
    29% of energy requirements
    43% of protein requirements
    36% of calcium requirements
    75% of vitamin A requirements
    76% of folate requirements
    94% of vitamin B12 requirements
    60% of vitamin C requirements
    From: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html#nutrition
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 12:09 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• i didn't do any cows milk or any milk substitute when we quit breastfeeding. if it is fat you need, then getting it from nuts, seeds, avocados, olive oil and fish are excellent sources. if it is vitamin d you are concerned about, you can get that from a litlle sunshine a few days a week.
    dairy is the number one food intolerance/ sensitivity. most people are intolerant and don't even realize it!
    my twins quit breastfeeding at 15 months, and i regret quitting before those 2 year molars came through. lo's get so much comfort from breastfeeding during times like those!
    i wish you the best of luck mama!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:49 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• My son is your son's age and still nurses 8x per day so I don't do cow milk.

Breastmilk has more fat than cow milk does .. and a TON MORE nutrition in it... ignore anonymous 11:09 and anonymous 9:53 they obviously haven't done any research on this topic.

Baby humans should drink human milk. Not cow's unless there is some reason human milk is unavailable..

I think you are doing wonderfully. If your LO is nursing less than 3-4x per day, you could introduce cow or goat milk or just offer to nurse a couple more times.

To get plenty of D, the sun is there are supplements. To get plenty of fat, make sure your LO does at least a couple nursing sessions that are longer than 2 minutes so he is getting hindmilk.

As far as the sippy goes.. Offer offer offer. Try the straw type. Does he dislike water? If so, you could flavor the water with a wedge of orange.. he might like that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Apr. 23, 2010