What, if anything, should I do?

I just got new neighbors a few weeks ago and I haven't got to know them very well. I have talked to the mom a few times and she wasn't shy about how verbally abusive her husband is, which wasn't a shock since I've heard him a dozen times call her stupid and retarted. Anyway here's my thing, they have a little boy, probably a little over a year old and they cuss him ALL the time. It's always 'GO THE F*** TO BED NOW! or SHUT THE F*** UP. I can't believe someone would treat their child this way. There's 5 people living in a 2 bedroom apartment and I've seen what they keep him in, it looks like a cage (it's not, but that's what it puts you in the mind of) I know it's none of my business but I honestly worry about the baby, is verbal abuse considered child abuse and would anything be done if CPS got a phone call? Makes me so mad, here I am can't have natural children and stupid people can pop them out left and right!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• call cps and see if they can do anything like monitor them
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• ha. i live in the projects and have forced myself to not notice a hundred thousand times now. :(

it's awful. you have to decide what you want to do about it. these people may be simply preparing their child for life as they've learned it. and that child may live a life like it's parents and need to be mentally prepared for... the jungle that this world really is.
    my son learned the hard way when we moved here how kinjdness is taken advantage of and he learned to reciprocate.

also think... if you call, who will they look at as the one that calls? will it make the child's life better? are you friend enough to offer to keep the kid for her when she's in rehab or jail? and he's out of the picture? hmm...

most likely the poor kid will be just like his mom or dad
    rucafox

Answer by rucafox at 11:21 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I agree, call cps. Goodness knows what else is being done in there
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Well unless youknow that he is not frustrating them and they do not ask him nicely 500 times before they yell then call if you have no clue if they ask him nicely and then yell and curse then stay out of it.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 11:27 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• *OP* here....they don't just curse at him, they tell him he's a bad boy too, it's just sad, I'm not saying they don't get frustrated but to me it's just a sad situation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Well I'm not perfect and I'm not a saint, but no matter how frustrated my kid makes me, I'm not going to yell obsecenities at him, especially when he's only a year old, thats just absurd. If you want a child to go to bed why would you throw the "f" word at him? Some people are just trashy I guess. Thats the stupidest thing I've ever heard, some people should be required to have their tubes tied.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I have told my DD she was being a bad girl I have said shut the "f" up or stop effing doing that when she wont stop. She is 2 1/2 and knows how to push buttons. I always say I am sorry that I was being a bad girl and snapped at her but she stops doing whatever she was doing or saying and she always says I'm sorry too and I love you momma. It's OK when you loose your temper nobody is perfect and rarely I loose mine I would rather swear at her than beat her.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 11:37 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• *OP* hmm well maybe I am a bit of a prude since I don't use language like that (I'm not judging I just never was a big "curser") I just hear it every single night. Maybe I should just stay out of it and call my landlord and ask him to ask them to be quieter, because when I say it's on a daily basis, that's not exaggeration, I heard her telling him to go to f****** bed this morning before I was leaving for work. I've never talked to my stepdaughter like that, I can't imagine saying words like that in front of her....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• you painted quite the sorrowful picture.... it's all grainy and black andwhite in my head. with a high contrast on the child's cheeks and shiny big brown eyes peeking from above the play gate (which i've seen lots of people use)

what's alien and sad to you isNORMAL to this child.
    rucafox

Answer by rucafox at 11:43 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• That's horrible. I think I would just try to make friends with the mom and eventually make her feel like crap for the way she's raising her child. Maybe that would encourage her to change. Other than that, I don't think there's much CPS could do unless there was some physical abuse.frown mini

Anonymous