Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you were to get drunk in a country where the drinking limit is under 21, and went to the states and were still over the limit, could they arrest you for underage drinking even though you did not do the drinking in the states?


Asked by renea20 at 11:16 AM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

Level 32 (57,144 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • no it isnt where you are a citizine. i went to jamacia and their age is 18 and i was 20 and could drink. in the states. you could get arrested for being underage and drunk if you were. public drunken-ness is illegal here too. btw if you are over 18 in the states and your parents allow you to drink they can buy you drinks in public or serve it to you at home and you cannot get in trouble for it - neither can the parents. it is allowed by the laws in every state.

    Answer by AmaliaD at 12:31 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

  • Yes they can. The drinking age is 19 in Canada (we live like 20 mins away from the border), My husband is 19, if we drunk over there and was driving home and got pulled over by a MP then he would get a ticket.

    Answer by armywife2009101 at 11:18 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

  • yep, they can... if you go from canada to MI (where I live) you can still get arrested

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:19 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

  • whichever you're actually a citizen of is what matters

    Answer by rucafox at 11:27 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

  • Amalia... show me proof of that

    where I live, that is called contributing to the delinquincy of a minor

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

  • I think so. I've kind of wondered about that with pot before lol.

    Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:36 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

  • Yes, they don't JUST arrest you when you are drinking in the US, they arrest you when you are drunk too...

    Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 1:48 PM on Apr. 23, 2010

  • Peanutsmommy1-
    This is the alcohol laws in Iowa

    - No one under the age of 21 is allowed to consume or posses alcohol, unless at a private home when the parent or guardian gives it to his/her child or ward and the said parent or guardian is present (supervising). Also anyone under the age of 21 can not drive any motor vehicle with a BAC of .02 or higher. For anyone 21 years of age or older may not drive if they have a BAC of .10 or higher.

    Otherwise here is the link for the rest of the USA-

    Answer by MamaRoberts at 5:50 PM on Apr. 25, 2010