9 month old sleeping

my 9 month old wakes up during the night anywhere from 2- several times. longest she sleeps is about 3 or 3 1/2 hours. im still nursing at night sometimes. she doesnt know how to put herself to sleep she's been sleeping with me in my bed for a while now.. i used to start the night out with her in the crib but then she got bad allergies/congestion so i felt bad so she was in my bed the entire night for a while. now she will not go down in the crib or pack and play. i have absolutely no time to myself and i am sleep deprived. i have been told by many to let her cry. i have tried doing this but give in because i cant stand to hear her cry like that. i dont know what to do. i want to let her cry but i cant get myself to do it.. and i am exhausted. i know everyone would feel better if we both got sleep. she loves to cuddle!! i feel so bad. any suggestions/experience with this would be of great help. thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• stop nursing.

seriously bottle feed with a generous amount of infant cereal.

and give baby a late dinner... a big one. pop food in her mouth while she's running around the living room or whatever. she'll wear out, and be full. and make a bottle before you go to bed and set it inj th ecrib with her when she wakes up all you have to do is pop the bottle in her hands....

if you're still nursing baby might not know how to self feed like this. tho. hmm.
    rucafox

Answer by rucafox at 11:25 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• ummm yeah, dont do that. go to the library and check out some books on healthy sleep habits for babies

i am reading better sleep for your baby and child right now, it's interesting.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:32 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Ummm rucafox are you kidding me??? IMO, your advice is ludicrous and unhealthy.

I want to say a bunch of things to you but I'm not allowed.

OP, lol. Get "The no cry sleep solution" and google dr. jay gordon and look at his info about getting baby out of your bed. Bottlefeeding might help but likely baby will just wake up more due to tummy pain and it'd make her allergies worse..

Nursing every few hours is still normal at this age.. Sorry.. Growing baby!

You can stop co-sleeping but it might not help the night-waking. I did not night-wean til 18 mos, myself. Some say a year..

I would just try to get baby out of your bed you will probably sleep a little better, and, I wouldn't do CIO.. It just sets babies up to have more trouble down the line with being overly clingy because they lose confidence in you.

And, um, breastfed babies can self-feed .. just not often w/ a bottle.. Plus some of us like to hold
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I agree w staciandababy. Please don't stop nursing. Are you sure she is not teething? Wear her out real good during the evening, give her a bath right before bed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Try a different soothing routine. Warm bath, lavender scented lotion, then nurse. I never bought into the let them cry theory. Crying is the only way they have of communicating with us at this age. They trust us to respond. What about a baby swing?? My middle boy used to love sleeping in a swing. I wish I could help more, but I was an avid co-sleeper. If baby wanted to sleep on my bed I let them. It allowd me to sleep as well. Maybe give baby some oatmeal before bed since she's old enough for solids. Might help her sleep longer if her tummy is full. But I don't advise on formula feeding since you've obviously have success breastfeeding. And at 9 months you can skip a bottle completely and jump to a cup.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:44 AM on Apr. 22, 2010

• lol old enough for solids. that baby's old enough to eat off of your plate.
    rucafox

Answer by rucafox at 2:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Rucafox...just because a baby is breastfed doesn't mean that baby doesn't get solids. Mine got HUGE meals of solids while nursing, including before bed...knew how to self-feed before walking and still DID NOT SLEEP. Even when I put him in his own space.

But I shouldn't have been surprised...I am a non-sleeper myself who functions best on three hours a night.

Sleep is developmental. They grow into it. Nothing MOM does makes a difference...they sleep when ready DESPITE what you do, not because of it.

OP...check out Dr. Jay's website and the no-cry sleep solution. But if co-sleeping works then DO IT. There's no reason not to!

Answer by gdiamante at 3:58 PM on Apr. 22, 2010