How much does it cost to feed your family?

How much does it cost average? And can it be done for less?

I did an experiment and this is what I found........now I know its feeding a family of 4 since my husband is out of town on business and my town is not the average. I am in South Carolina. So it's me, a 16 vegetarian, 13 and 4 yo.

CVS (by my house) tune in water Bumble Bee on sale for .49. so 2 cans at .98
2 loaves of Sara Lee Bread at .99 each 1.98 (have a bakery by my work
package of 3 steaks at 1.99
bananas at .44 a pound .88
buy one get one free prepackaged salad greens at 1.50
buy one 5 pound potatos GET ONE FREE 2.88
kellogg cereal at buy one get one free 3.10
chicken legs at .59 cents a pound 4 pounds for 2.36
spagetti sauce buy one get one free (ragu) 1.99
pint strawberries at 2.00
spagetti noodles .99
6 pack of oatmeal store brand for 1.78
cucumbers for 3 for a dollar 1.00
campbells tomato soup at 2 for 1.00

pagirl71

Asked by pagirl71 at 12:00 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Def not that amount! I'm a seafood freak and it si not cheap at all. You cannot get steaks 3 for 1.99 in WA either.
    shamillionaire

Answer by shamillionaire at 12:05 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• i get a little over six hundred a month in food stamps. it's not enough for my family of four, soon to be five. we spend close to two hundred for grocery during the last week of the month. none of us is overweight and we shop at food city, reasonable prices, cheap meats.

food is expensive.
    rucafox

Answer by rucafox at 12:05 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• milk 2 gallons at 1.98 per gallon 3.96
    ramen noodles at 11. so .99 for 9
    package pork chops at 2.01
    bag of apples 1.29
    and a premade pizza for 2.48...
    yogurt 6 for a 1.oo bought 12 2.00

now I have a store card and used coupons and found some really good deals. And like I said not typical and we have 3 stores right next to each other...grand total........31.21 plus tax. And since I have stuff in my pantry plus condiments in frig and what not this will last more than a week.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:09 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I know the steak was a rare find but I just was wondering if it could be done. Like I said most of it was pure luck and it was in 3 stores. Def. not typical I spend close to 200 every 2 weeks for my family of 5 and shop mostly at the military commissary. But I see posts all the time where people say its not doable and what not. We even have a church heere that says a 5 dollar donation feeds a family of 4 a day. Really want to shop where they do. So I had the time off from work and mind you the kids have lunch at school and the big eater is gone. I just wanted to see if it was possible. And yes we eat fish here too notice it was tuna fish in a can. But honestly the convience of doing that and if I didn't have a store card that allowed for lower prices since it does add up plus I forgot I had coupons.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:16 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• If your family (ALL) eat that stuff well your a lucky lady.I have 5 of us full time *&* 7 or 8 part time.IDK how to get a couple to eat tuna or hubby! & only one will have tomato soup, I gess my point is we all have different thoughts and budgets.It's not cheap for me to fead them " ALL " week, maybee 2 or 3 days out of the week we can get real close but I like to give them all the food groups at dinner time. Snacking on plenty of frits during the day isn't cheap, but if you want to eat healthy it costs.
    Anonymous

• We spend around $800 a month for family of 10 .. but that is for everyting- food, toiletries , cleaning supplies, diapers etc,
    we do put in a huge garden every year .We are hoping to get more canning into storage this year and start buying bulk and clipping coupons agian ..anything we can do to reduce the price or at least keep it from going any higher.
    munchkinaplenty

Answer by munchkinaplenty at 12:23 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Our grocery budget is $240 a month (no food stamps) for all groceries, including paper products and personal care items, for a family 7 - 4 adults and 3 kids ages 9 to 12. There are several months that I do use less than that. We think we eat pretty well; so far this month for dinners we've had homemade pizza, teriyaki chicken, burgers & oven fries, taco salad, Asian baked chicken, chicken alfredo, roasted chicken, beef stroganoff, lasagna & garlic bread, tacos, and all the sides, dessert 2 to 3 times a week.

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:29 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• good job michi mom
    rucafox

Answer by rucafox at 2:42 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• If you average out our meat per month (we buy once a year - whole animal), I probably spend around $400/month for 6 of us. We eat a lot of fresh fruits & veggies. I watch my sales really really closely. I used to work in a grocery store so I have a good idea of what's good or not for prices. I've been trying to buy more organics, and I also have to buy some gluten-free stuff (which is really expensive!). We don't eat crap, we don't get foodstamps (even though we qualify, long story there), my kids are well-fed.
    Anonymous

• I spend on average $200 a week. That includes all food, household, and pet items. Typical "week" worth of shopping for me includes:

Fresh fruits and vegetables: at least $20
    Milk (not always organic, but with no hormones and antibiotics) $2/gallon: $8/wk
    Dairy (1 lb block cheese, sliced cheese, sour cream, margarine, yogurt, etc): $15
    Cereals (on sale) $2/box: $8/wk
    Bread: $1.50/loaf $6/wk
    Baking supplies: $10/wk
    Household and toiletries: $20/wk
    Pet supplies: $10/wk
    meats (organic bison, lean ground turkey, free range boneless skinless chicken breast); $20+/wk
    Frozen fruits and vegetables: $10/wk
    Pantry items (dried pastas, canned low sodium tomatoes, low sodium canned beans, dried beans, etc) $30/wk
    Snack items (chips, granola bars, all fruit popsicles, lower fat ice cream, etc) $15/wk
    Juices: $10/wk

That is on average, INCLUDING coupons which I clip regularly. Mines expensive due to sp
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2010