How to handle a situation like this...

My grandmother is a wonderful woman, she loves me, my DH and DD very much, however, she doesn't seem to think that I'm "grown up" enough to make decisions when it comes to my child. At a family gathering the other day she was holding DD who is 10 months old, I looked away for second to take a drink (sweet tea, I don't "drink" when I have the baby with me), and when I looked back my cousin's 7 year old daughter was walking off with my baby in her arms... I had a mouthful of tea so I shook my head at my grandmother who said "oh it's ok, she carries her little sister all the time" so I told her that I didn't care, I was uncomfortable with a small child carrying my baby, especially when it involves walking off with her without asking my permission. Everyone but my husband and mom think I overreacted because I told her it wasn't ok to argue with me about who can take my child, what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• agreed, I told my little sister (10 yrs old at the time) that she was not allowed to carry my son until he turned 1. Sitting and holding him was okay, with supervision. I told my niece (9) the same thing. A 7 year old? I COMPLETELY understand. Everybody should respect your wishes anyway, because you are that baby's mom, no matter how unreasonable or overprotective they may think you are.
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 12:26 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• agreed
    mariisasmommy

Answer by mariisasmommy at 12:19 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I think you were absolutely right. My oldest was 7 when I had my last and she thought the baby belonged to her. I had to constantly tell her to leave the baby alone and I was not at all comfortable with her holding the baby while being up and around (sitting was okay) - and that was my own child. So yeah, I think you were right.
    TarLion

Answer by TarLion at 12:23 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• OMG, I would have been pissed.I also would have walked rather quickly to the 7 yr old and took the baby & told her in our family no-one holds the baby with out permission o.k. & hug her off on her way.'Gram isn't always right & I think someone should tell her.I've got a 10 yr old who is rather petite & a 4 yr old & they are NOT allowed to pick-up their baby brother unless I ask them too.Other wise he DOES get hurt.I hate when other family members that you only see on special occasions think it's o.k. to tell your kids what to do . It's not o.k. & I wish more people would take a stand to these family bullies, vent over.Have a great day~
    Anonymous

• You did not overreact.
    rain408

Answer by rain408 at 12:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• It's your baby and that was not right. They could drop the baby. Stick up for yourself. Old people are annoying with that stuff.
    Anonymous

• You were 100% correct.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:03 PM on Apr. 22, 2010