What is your opnion on pain managment during pregnancy and labor?

Iv been asking alot of questions here cause iv got very mixed feeling about doctors rigjt now.
im asking now what your opnion on pain managment is? In the past 5days iv had 3shots pf tributalen, 2 shots of stairods, 6 doses of nifedimein, a hefty dose of morphine and over 12hrs of magnesium saulfate... All to stop preterm contractions. But nothing has actually worked, im still feeling them. Im not dialated any so the contractions arent doing anything to begine with, just painfull to me. Iv decided enough is enough, im going o'natural from here on out. My doctors dont agree. They seem to just insist on pain control meds. Im not in dieing pain or anything, just uncomfertable. And my baby is doing just fine and isnt effected by the contractions at all. So am i in the wrong here? Am i ok to say no to all this crap they want to pump into me? Im 34wks. No change to from 1-2cm in a week. What do you think?

Keaton_Hazel

Asked by Keaton_Hazel at 12:27 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i am glad there has been no change. if you think you can handle the pain, then i think it is worth a try.
    still wishing you luck for a full term baby!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:33 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I think if you aren't in horrrible pain its your body and your baby so its your choice.
    Anonymous

• If you don't want pain meds, that is absolutely your choice! Tons of women out there go all natural...my mom did and I was born sunny side up! I got an epidural and it was wonderful...but there are ppl who have problems with it. Whatever you want to do is your decision.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:44 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Like pps said its your choice. For me, I say, give me all the drugs I can get.

I had an epidural with both of my babies and I plan on it this time around too.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 12:47 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• lol yea i had the same thoughts with my other two babies and i loved the epidural. But i just dont feel such drastic messures need to be taken if i myself dont feel i need all that crap.
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 1:10 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• i have no problem with pain meds. i had an epidural. my water broke at 34 weeks, i had steroids for his lungs, they tried to induce me, i got an epidural, it didnt work, so then i had a csection the day i was 35 weeks, and my son is great so dont worry, GL
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:28 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• If you don't want the pain medication then it is your right to say no to them and your doctor's job to listen to you and follow your wishes. I wouldn't pass on the steroids or any antibiotics (if your water has broken) since those are to benefit the baby in case it does come early. But if you can handle the pain, then by all means tell them you don't need any pain relief. They have to follow your wishes as long as there is no medical necessity not to, and also somtimes even if there is medical reason not to they have to do as you say; if they keep pushing it file a complaint and inform them of that, and try to switch doctors if you can this late. If not, make sure you have a different doctor for the next pregnancy.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Im more of a au natural girl here... your body is speaking & meds just shut it up & its unable to do what its sappose to do..
    Anything to help a woman get to a healthy place in her pregnancy (to stop pre-term labor) is understanding.. But if you feel you dont need the drugs then dont take them!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:20 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Are they sure it's 34 weeks, or maybe you're term? I don't use pain meds, if you need them thats fine, but if you're refusing them... they should respect that. You might want to consider that if our wishes are being ignored now, how is that going to play out in real labor?
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 2:36 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• You know whats funny... But not really funny, i even went to a completly different hospital and made sure no doctor from my office was there cause i dont like any of them, and even this hospital did the same thing... Shot me with pain meds even though i said i wasmt in pain but they insist it will help slow the contractions, which again it has not. I just dont understand, when did doctors become more about the paycheck then careing about the person? Thankfully i have CafeMoms that listen and understand where im coming from! =)
    Keaton_Hazel

Answer by Keaton_Hazel at 3:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2010