Do you think it matters what brand of LAUNDRY DETERGENT you use and which inexpensive brand is best?

I am trying to find a new laundry detergent and have no idea what to look for. I have always bought whatever I can get for the cheapest price. Which lately has been Sun. But I noticed that our clothes are looking faded and the stains are not coming out. So I want to know what everyone on here uses and thinks is best. I like to by the big economy size bottles and can't afford to pay $15 or $20 so I need something that is inexpensive. Also if you have any laundry tips that would be great too. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:32 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I also make my own detergent and use white vinegar for my fabric softener. And if you really want to prevent fading, hang dry most of your clothes, then toss them in the dryer on "air" for a couple of minutes to get the stiffness out (jeans typically dry stiff). Towels & sheets, etc.. can be dried in the dryer normally, but to keep your clothes looking good, hang 'em to dry. If your clothes are smelly, Arm & Hammer baking soda will get rid of the odors, just add a half cup to each load (also brightens clothes). For really stinky stuff, presoak the clothes in your machine for an hour with a whole cup of the baking soda, then wash as usual.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:34 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I really like Gain or Arm & Hammer. That's about as cheap as I've ever gone. I usually buy tide.
    Hope that helps.
    mrsderekjeter

Answer by mrsderekjeter at 12:33 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• ooh! i need answers on this one as well... and YES Sun is probably the worst brand ive ever bought, hurt my clothes real bad!
    mariisasmommy

Answer by mariisasmommy at 12:34 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Oh, and check out this site:
    www.vinegartips.com

I believe that if you add vinegar as a fabric softerner, it also boosts colors.
    It definitely helps the soap to rinse completely out, which can leave a film on your clothes.
    VInegar is CHEAP.
    mrsderekjeter

Answer by mrsderekjeter at 12:34 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I always used Purex free & clear liquid until our Walmart quit carrying the large size bottles. I quit because I was tired of going into the store and walking out with several bottles of the stuff at once, ridiculous. I have switched to Arm & Hammer powder and have been very pleased with quality and price. :)
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 12:37 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I'm a Gain~ tropical expressions one?!? Something like that BUT am also a BIZ bleach user!! All my clothes as well as my sons grass, dirt, blood, food, marker, paint stained clothes come out looking like they were just bought. I like snuggle fabric softner too!
    shamillionaire

Answer by shamillionaire at 12:38 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I make my own detergent and use vinegar for fabric softener. :)
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 12:39 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I used to buy the expensive stuff but decided to try the Surf powder detergent and I love it. It does the job for half the price and it smells awesome
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 12:39 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Surf is a good one! :)
    Anonymous

• I always used the cheapest I could find too, but noticed that none of the kids clothes were getting clean enough, it was stain after stain that wasn't coming out...I bought some Tide on sale and got the store brand of oxi-clean powder, and I swear its made a big difference. I figure the extra cost of the detergeant is better than having to constantly buy new clothes. It's on sale quite often, so I wait for the sales and stock up then.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2010