Cake Help

I am making a wedding cake for my sister-in-law. It is a three tier cake, and she wants to know how much cake and fondant she needs to buy for me to do this. The cake pan sizes are 16 x 2 in, 12 x 2 in, and 8 x 2 in. Also if I make the cake by scratch what would be a good recipe, she wants chocolate on the two tiers and vanilla in the middle tier.

mommyjones

Asked by mommyjones at 12:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Most cake mixes yield 5 to 5 1/2 cups batter. According to my Wilton book:

16 inch cake (I'm assuming round?) takes 15 cups of batter PER layer. You'd need 6 cake mixes to make a 2 layer cake. Bake at 325 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes or until done, NOT the usual 350 degrees. Let cool for 12 to 15 minutes before removing from pan.

12 inch cake takes 7 1/2 cups of batter per layer but I usually use 2 mixes per layer, total of 4 mixes needed.

8 inch cake takes 3 1/2 cups of batter per layer. I usually use 1 cake mix for a 2 layer cake.

I use cakes mixes 99% of the time to make all my cakes, even wedding cakes. I've found that scratch recipes aren't as consistent as the box cakes, and I can add to the box cakes: sour cream, butter instead of oil, box of instant pudding mix, etc. I also prefer to make my own fondant vs. buy, so I'm no help there.

Check out any of the cake groups here on CM for more tips & recipes.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 2:18 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I don't think there is a better chocolate cake recipe than the one on the Hershey's cocoa box.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:38 PM on Apr. 22, 2010