Is it normal for a mom to feel shame every time she has to breastfeed in public?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Shame??? NO! A little embarrassed... maybe. I didn't breast feed in public because of the way my inlaws made me feel about it. I plan to be different this time, I'll use a cover when I am out.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 1:04 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I have never felt like that.
    Anonymous

• Who breastfeeds in public? You mean public- public? :)
    I breastfed both of mine and I just don't see how it would ever be neccessary to do it in public. I mean family and friends might see but even then, you just cover up with a blanket or something.
    rain408

Answer by rain408 at 1:04 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I just going to post this picture you'll figure it out.

Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 1:05 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Yeah, just use the blanket. I felt a little akward maybe, but new I had every right to do it.
    brookebella

Answer by brookebella at 1:12 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• *knew
    brookebella

• if it is uncomfortable for you, then maybe you could avoid it. uncomfortable for you, might make it uncomfortable for baby too. there is no need to feel shame at all, though. it is very natural to feed your baby. if it bothers any one else, then they can always look another direction!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:20 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• It is normal in the US because breastfeeding is still seen as something private you do at home in most places, and it is really not the norm to nurse your child out in public in most areas either. When I nursed in public the first time I was nervous, but I never felt any shame because it is my right to feed my child; if she gets hungry in the store and absolutely has to nurse, then we find a quiet place to sit down and we nurse, and if people have an issue with it they can simply not look. But that's just me ;) I have a bit of a steamroller attitude about some things, NIP being one of them. If you aren't comfortable nursing in public, it's okay, try to find a more private place to do it, or use a cover, or make sure you go places when the baby is less likely to get hungry, or you can pump a bottle of breastmilk, or... lol. There are lots of things you can do if you're just not comfortable with NIP.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:22 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• i would not be breastfeeding in public. i think thats a private thing between you and your child. everybody at the mall christmas shopping with there kids and eating lunch does not want to see you breastfeeding your baby. its ridiculous. pack ur breast milk in a bottle or just stay home. come on now.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:24 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• PURPUL, I'm assuming you've never breastfed.

Mama, I wouldn't say it's normal to feel shame every time you breastfeed in public. But I think it's understandable - even from the opinions here, it's obvious why you have some feelings that are hard to reconcile. Do you have any breastfeeding friends nearby that might help you feel less shame about it? Or maybe try joining your local La Leche League? The more you remind yourself that this is NORMAL and nothing to be ashamed of or feel awkward over, the easier it will get.

asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 1:30 PM on Apr. 22, 2010