18m hitting in protest!

My 18m old son screams & hits me in the face in protest! This is usually when trying to make him leave somewhere fun, etc. If he starts to do this at home, he goes in immediate time-out (which works great for him). I usually grab his little hands mid-swing and say "no hitting!" and he stops... but sometimes not, and I'd like to not have the hitting start at all. And the screaming in insane. Suggestions? The terrible two's are here!

mevxoxo

Asked by mevxoxo at 1:01 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I give a warning (one more time down the slide then it's time to go) then say ok lets go see the ducks or go eat or go do something not lets leave, then he says bye to whereever were at and i pick him up and we head out...When this doesn't work I hold him under my arm like a barrel (with him flat and my arm around his waist) sorry don't know how else to describe it. that way he can't hit, kick or wiggle out and proceed to leave.
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 1:17 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I agree, I give my son actually 2-3 warnings before leaving, he has to look at me to acknowledge I am talking to him and telling him this also and that seems to lesson, but not always take away fits.. but my son went through a good 2 month hitting when mad spell. just stay strong and very consistant.. now he will hit the ground instead of me when he's mad lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:48 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• DD has recently started swatting. If she does it, I sit her down fast on the floor, say "time out. we do NOT hit" in an angry but not yelling voice and leave her in time out for a few minutes. They need more than a few seconds to actually calm down. I don't have a time out spot- I just make sure she's on the floor fast so there's immediate consequences. When I come back (I'm usually standing behind her) I get on her level and have her look me in the eye when I tell her "we do NOT hit."

And I would be sure to transition as well. I catch heck if I just make her change activities or leave without notice. I'll say "we're going to finish our lunch and then go put on our shoes so we can go see grammie." And all along the way I can say, we can't go to grammie's until we put on our shoes!
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 10:57 PM on Apr. 22, 2010