Did your husband get a HIV test too during your prenatal care?

I don't know but it seems that now these tests are mandatory.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I got tested but hubby didn't.

Why do some people think it is stupid? HIV can be contracted without you knowing it (and not just through sex). If your baby is born with it he/she may need extra care when they are born and the doctors like to be prepared for that. They have been doing the testing for many years (my mother got tested when pregnant with my sister who is now 27).

Most doctors test twice now, once in early pregnancy and once in late, this way they do not have to test the daddy because HIV usually shows up in the blood within 6 months of contraction.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 2:42 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• They have been only they don't tell you back in the day. When I had my son in "96 the nurse told me that they test pregnant women for hiv so they can get the care necessary for the unborn baby. Now it is out in the open and its about time.
    Anonymous

• My DH didn't get any testing.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 1:20 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• No mine didn't get one either... that's weird, why do they want him too??
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 1:24 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• No, he never had any testing done either.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:37 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• no, that i know of i wasnt tested either.. they pretty much knew me & dh where exclusive & had a long relationship..
    May be more common in people that are not married, together, or something like that?? ... Or it may be you state/ county/ ect...
    I know back in the day people had to be tested for stuff before marriage.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:04 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• no they tested me though
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 2:05 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• No, but they tested me with each pregnancy, and it's required. Even my midwife thinks it's stupid.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 2:37 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• In 1999, I had to sign a release form when they tested me. I think I had to sign the same form during my pregnancies in 2003 and 2005. Only I was tested since I was the only one that mattered at that time (since the baby was inside of me and all that)
    VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 2:43 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• No, and I had to sign a paper to refuse HIV testing on myself. They required the other STD testing though and wouldn't let me refuse those.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:44 PM on Apr. 22, 2010