How do I get my one year old to sleep through the night again?

My one year old use to be a great sleeper but now that he is one, he wakes up 2-3 times a night??

RysMom1199

Asked by RysMom1199 at 1:28 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have no idea but if you find something that works please let me know! I have the same exact problem with my now 2 year old. He was sleeping through the night until about 17, 18 months then quit and has been getting up ever since.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 1:42 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Oh me too me too - my son was NEVER a great sleeper but he slept through the night after a year then when he hit 2 years old started waking 1-6 times a night.. that was 6 months ago.. we are still on a random amount averaging about 2-3 times..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:45 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Glad to see I am not the only one. He was a really good sleeper from 2 months to 10 months. But he has been waking up 2-3 times a night. His crib is in my room, and I always get up and rock him back to sleep, and endup sleeping in the rocking chair a few hours every night.
    RysMom1199

Answer by RysMom1199 at 2:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Hee hee.. It's normal for babies not to STTN reliably yet. He's probably going through something -- a milestone, teething, separation anxiety, and once it tapers off he'll start sleeping more again.

My 14 month old wakes up every couple days once or twice, and sometimes wakes up several times.

There's really nothing you can do.. you can try to encourage self-soothing by massaging and talking softly, but if he's not soothed by that then I think it's only humane to give them whatever it is they want (my son simply wants held for a minute most times. It's sortof sweet. heh.)

I think he'll give you more rest soon.. USUALLY by 18 months they're better at self-soothing (when self-soothing is APPROPRIATE anyway. If they're feeling a little insecure or having nightmares or in pain it's still normal for them to want mommy.. well into childhood! Babies are just more sensitive)

To the lady with the 2 y/o, nightmares maybe?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Apr. 23, 2010