Anyone tried this with success?

It seems my 7-mont-old is starting to sleep more during the day and having a harder time sleeping at night. When he wakes up to nurse, he's just wide awake and doesn't want to go back to sleep. I'm thinking of trying to keep him up during the day more. He takes 3-4 naps ranging from 1/2-1 1/2 hours each. He gets cranky after being awake for just an hour, but I've been keeping him up about 1 1/2-2 hours at a time. All the books say don't try to keep them up during the day or they'll sleep WORSE at night, but the books are just wrong in so many ways. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The books are right... to an extent... The reason is, they get overtired. Kids who are overtired, in general, have a harder time staying asleep. They are grumpier and harder to get to sleep as well. I would cut out one or two or your LOs naps. At 7 months my first would take 2-3 1-1 1/2 hour naps. More and she did not sleep during the night. If she only took one she was so tired and would do nothing but scream. She was the same way as yours too, she started to get days and nights confused. At one point she would stay up til at least midnight, if not much much later... that's when we cut back the naps to 2-3. And it worked. Not immediately, it's a slow process, but it worked.
    Georgie0502

Answer by Georgie0502 at 2:34 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I did that with mine, but, he slept all night at 3 months. During the day, if he woke up, I would talk and play with him and not be quiet. LOL At night, I stayed quiet and kept it dark and didn't talk, only fed and layed him back down.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:53 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• i rarely talk at all to my babies in the night. i don't want to reinforce any ideas that this might be playtime.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• F the books!!! My DD is two and doesn't nap AT ALL (most of the time) during the day or else she will NOT sleep at night. I had to start doing this when she was only like 14 months. I am super suprised that he is 7 months and you haven't done something about it yet! I got my DD sleeping from 10 pm - 6 am when she was only 6 weeks old!
    Anonymous

• Get him out in the sunshine if you're going to keep him up during the day. He still needs a nap or two though. I think Georgie is on track though
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 3:00 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• If my daughter misses her regular naps she is ana bsolute terror at bed time. She seems to just get more and more wired the longer she stays up, then does not want to sleep at night. DH has mentioned once or twice trying to keep her up longer during the day b/c he thinks she *should* sleep earlier that way, but it has never worked that way. She is 16 months now, but around 7-8 months she changed her sleeping schedule for both daytime and nighttime and it took us a little bit to sort it out. We did like Georgie suggests, re-worked her naps during the day to help her sleep at night. Other things we still do: I don't ever turn on the light in her room at night, and DH keeps her active during the day except at naptime, we watch for her "sleepy face" some nights before taking her to bed so we aren't trying to get her to sleep while she still has energy, and we never change her bedtime routine.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:48 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I also keep stimulation to an absolute minimum at night--EXCEPT when daddy comes in the room. Men just don't seem to get that! LOL!

OP
    Anonymous