People should follow the religions of their heritage,

This Question is amed for Pagans

How do you feel about this phrase? And what about people of mix races ( like me I'm black and white) which religion should they fallow? i have been thinking about this for a while now. I have my own faith i fallow my heart not where my people came from (which is Germany and Africa) it feels rite to me. So how do you feel about it what are your thoughts on religion and heritage.

Christine113

Asked by Christine113 at 2:03 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Apples and oranges. While many find the religions of their past heritage interesting it by no means implies that they should follow that religion.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:13 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Should they follow it...not unless their heart feels drawn to it.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:51 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I think everyone needs to choose for themselves, afterall, you very well might have been a different religion in a different life.

I do feel drawn to Paganism, which was practiced in ancient Europe and my ancestors in this life are from Europe. But I don't know that it really makes any difference.
    FemRising

Answer by FemRising at 2:55 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Sorry, but (nothing against my Girl NP) but Asatru really doesn't appeal to me. (That takes of the Swedish 1/4...and to a certain extent the Luxembourgian/German 3/8)

And not much is known about pre-Christian Bohemia/Moravia (3/8 Czech)...thanks Crusaders...at least not that *I* have been able to find.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:56 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• For me my heritage plays a small part in my beliefs but the majority is following my heart and what brings me peace. I remember the day my grandfather noticed me wearing a traquetta around my neck, My family is from scotland so my grandfather feels strongly about our family not losing our roots, I am the first born in the US. He looked at my necklace then looked up at me and said "lass you are wearing runes" I replied yes but only a small one, he then said to me with a  big smile on his face " I am glad to see someone taking our history seriously" To me it confirmed that I am on the right path and that knowing about my family history can be helpful along the way.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:43 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I do, in a way, but many people wouldn't get it. I am Greek (mostly), so most people automatically think I should be Greek Orthodox. Instead, I'm Pagan and I worship the old Greek pantheon.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 3:50 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• This is a hard one for me. I believe that each "peoples" had their own pantheon separate from all the others. And that generally these Gods will connect best with the people who hold those blood lines. However, I also believe in residual spirituality, meaning that from life to life our spirit "remembers" the connection it had with our Gods in previous lives, which is why so many people can't find truth when taught religion from childhood, there spirit remembers differently. And I believe that if our spirit had a strong connection with a certain God, Goddess or Pantheon in a previous life it could retain that connection in this one.

So, do I believe that we should follow our religious heritage? Yes, to a point. But for those of us with older souls, that spiritual heritage may be stronger than that of out blood.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:53 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Sorry, but (nothing against my Girl NP) but Asatru really doesn't appeal to me.

PTHHHTTTHHHHH :p

This is prolly gonna go long. There are different schools of thought in Asatru/Heathenry/Odinism about connection to your heritage. The extreme universalist idea is that anyone can be a Heathen, all they have to do is believe. The extreme folkish idea is the one drop rule. You must be pure. To a true folkish Heathen, the Klan isn't pure enough. Most people fall somewhere in between. Not all universalists are total hippy tree-huggers, and not all folkish are racist, but that's the general rule. My personal belief is that you are most likely drawn to your ancestral beliefs. It doesn't make much sense for the gods to care about you when you're not of Germanic descent because we are all family. When you are Germanic (and that's a broad term - most of Northern Europe) you are descended from -cont'd-
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:55 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• In addition I believe we are all grandchildren of the "Great God & Goddess" and our connection with them does not rely on any heritage or our connection to any single Pantheon...

Also seeing as how our blood lines are many times very mixed, it may be hard for some of us to find a strong connection to any one pantheon because our blood ties to them have become so thin.

As for myself. I do work occasionally with both Celtic, Greco-Roman and Egyptian Pantheons, but I feel my connection to the Great Goddess and Great God is more important than any connection I may have to any of the lesser gods or goddesses. My blood heritage is mostly "celtic" (Irish, Welsh, Scottish) but I have strong spiritual connections to both Celtic and Egyptian...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:59 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• the few families who eventually trace back to royalty, who in turn claim their lineage from the gods. This is something evident in the genome project where people all have one of a handful of base groups of genetic markers from ancient pre-civilization. If you are of that descent, you have the Nordic marker. Now, that doesn't mean that you won't ever be drawn to the faith even if you don't have that marker, or (IMO) that you shouldn't be allowed to practice. I just think it's more unlikely you'd be drawn to it in the first place. It surprises people (and irritates some of the folkish to no end) that the official representative of The Troth on PaganSpace is black. I don't know his genetic background, and I don't personally care if he has it or not, but I suspect that it's more likely he does, even if it's just a tiny fraction. We each have on avg 1024 ancestors, how many people really know "what" they all were?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:00 PM on Apr. 22, 2010