Chicken pox (those who dont vaccinate)

I have a friend her daughter is 6 years old. Her daughter has never got vaccinated to fight off the chicken pox.
Her daughters friend (5 years old) got vaccianted for chicken pox. However she just got them.
My friend the one who has the 6 year old said she is going to make sure her daughter is around the 5 year old so her daughter WILL get the chicken pox. She said if her 6 year old gets them now its better for her because if she gets them when she is older it will be worse she could get sick since she never got vaccinated.

Not bashing just wanted to know if this is true. Anyone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• i've heard its better to have them when you are younger because for some reason when you are older they will make you sicker..idk why though
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Yes, it's true. In the days prior to the chicken pox vaccine, people used to get together and have pox parties.
    Anonymous

• I've always heard that the chicken Pox is worse if you get it as an adult. And although my kids are vaccinated against it I'm starting to hear concerns about it because they need to get booster shots as an adult which people often don't do, so there could end up being a lot of these kids getting the Chicken Pox as adults, when it's a lot worse.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 2:11 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I've gotten chicken pox from my 7 year old niece ( at that time). I was 18 years old. The worse three days of my life. But i survived.
    Energ8zr

Answer by Energ8zr at 2:12 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• i've also heard that if you do happen to get them more than once it is worse each time and can be dangerous. Most people only get them once though
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 2:13 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• OP here- So if you never got your child vaccinated would you go out of your way to make sure they DID get the chicken pox? I would if it was better for them i supose. just wondering.
    Anonymous

• idk..i would ask my doctor for their opinion.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 2:17 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Chickenpox complications are more likely to occur in adults than in children. Despite the fact that adults account for only 5 percent of chickenpox cases per year, they account for a disproportionate number of deaths (55 percent) and hospitalizations (33 percent) compared to children.

Most complications of adult chickenpox are caused by an infection from bacteria. These bacteria can cause chickenpox complications that include:

* Skin or soft tissue infections
    * Pneumonia (usually more severe in adults, as well as children over 13 years old)
    * Bone infections (osteomyelitis)
    * Joint infections (septic arthritis)
    * Toxic shock syndrome.

Other serious adult chickenpox complications directly related to the chickenpox virus can include:

* Infection of the brain (encephalitis)
    * Bleeding problems
    * Cerebellar ataxia.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:23 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I had all 4 of my kids vaccinated - 2 of them still got the chicken pox. Not on purpose, but they caught it from somewhere, so even having the vaccination is no guarantee!

Answer by missanc at 2:23 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I was never vaccinated and got them from my younger brother when I was 25!The pox symptoms were milder than what normally happens but I did almost have to be hospitalized due to respiratory side effects.I got pneumonia!The doctors said that though the symptoms lasted a few days,my immune system dropped and the first cold I got took its toll on my lungs.I had to go on antibiotics for a month and I still have breathing problems triggered from the pneu.I took no chances with my girls and both were vaccinated.
    MyrMar

Answer by MyrMar at 2:27 PM on Apr. 22, 2010