Ever said NO to an IV during birth/deliver?

When birthing at the hospital they always put a IV with fluids through our arm... has anyone ever refused the IV?
Is the fluids that important?

Im curious b/c with my first, I had the IV & they put a drug into that made me drunk during birth "to help with the pain".. I DIDNT WANT IT! So now Im afraid of having another IV, it makes it too easy for them to slip stuff into me :(.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• It's not common practice in Canada to give an IV. I delivered two without an IV in at all. I was encouraged to eat and drink... actually, in labour with my first for twelve hours, the nurse kept making me drink because I didn't want to... she kept telling me to drink up so I wouldn't have to have an IV! With my third my doctor asked me to have one because apparently with the third child or more there is an increased chance of bleeding after delivery so she wanted an open vein. I thought it was probably overkill but I consented because it didn't really matter that much to me at that point (I was already starting to push when she got there- not like I was going to be hooked up to it for hours!) It was in place for about fifteen minutes and then disconnected, and nothing ever went through it but saline.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:28 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• They are obviously giving it to you for a reason. Talk to you doctor about it and see what he/she says about it. And if you tested positive for strep then it isnt fluids its antibiotics, which you 1000% need before the baby goes through the birth canal.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 2:28 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I had both my kids in a hospital, and they never even offered an IV. So chances are it varies from hospital to hospital and isn't a 100% needed thing. Chances are it's just to keep you from getting dehydrated, which was never a deal for me cause I drank (smuggled in) water the whole time... Ask the doctor what it's for though and see what they say.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:31 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• i had an iv for antibiotics. otherwise i would not have had one.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 2:35 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• from what i understood they put the iv in as a precaution, the hospital i was in would not give an epidural at all until you had completed one bag of iv fluids, so if u want and epidural you have no choice there, also anything could happen during the birth and the iv helps in case you suddenly need meds or fluids. now, they cant just give you meds without asking or telling you what they are doing, and i am unclear ab what happened in your case but i knew about everything they put into my body bc i made sure of it! they were gonna slip me anything without my permission so you just have to be watching out. i hate ivs and cry each time i have to get one but i do it bc of what emergency could happen and i wanted to be prepared. just say i had to get an emergency c-section, they would be able to put the meds in the iv with little time or effort and get to the baby faster, thats just how i think
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• If you verbally say you didn't want it? I didn't want an IV either, but I dehydrate so fast I didn't have a choice.
    Anonymous

• Let me just add... it's not common in Canada to get them for an unmedicated birth. I believe they do require them if you have an epi because they want the open vein in case there is a complication.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:29 PM on Apr. 22, 2010