Yeast Infection In baby

Alright moms... My little one has been on 3 antibiotics for an ear infection that wont go away, but thats the least of my problems right now. All the meds gave my 5 month little girls a yeast infection on her bottom and around her mouth... HOW can I make her more comfortable??? The pedi game me nystatin for it, but its not helping at all and the dr office wont fit her in cause they are packed... My little one is screaming in pain.... IDEAS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

3jewlz

Asked by 3jewlz at 2:35 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Give her some tylonol is it wont interact with the other meds. I always give my son real yogurt, not the baby stuff. and it usually clear up in a few days. Other than that im but i dont knwo of anything else GL
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 2:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Thanks Amanda, Ill give her tylenol, but cant do the yogurt. She has a long list of allergies and cant have dairy or soy.... i wonder if they make rice yogurt....?
    3jewlz

Answer by 3jewlz at 2:45 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• My doctor told me we can use regular yeast infection medicine for adults on my daughter. The cheap stuff comes in a cream, noit the things you insert, use that and just apply it like diaper ointment. I am nursing and got sick, she got yeast infection from me taking antibiotics. It started to clear it up immediately. We noticed a huge change just in the first 4-5 hours. Also if you wash her after each diaper change, we would just sit her in the sink and rinse her off, it helps with the irritation. Not sure what to do about it in her mouth. Haven't had to deal with that yet.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 2:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• OTC lotrimin, Plain yogurt, not eaten but used as a cream.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:53 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• BTW, my son can't eat dairy either, and I buy him Coconut Milk Yogurt. Just FYI for if you ever want to feed it to her.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• aww i would put the poor babe in the tub SEVERAL times a day to ease the itching. let her play in some warm water, hell buy her a small $5 pool and let her play in it, also i would let her go without a diaper as much as possible, also i would check twice about the regular yeast meds bc that wounds like a good way to go with the monistat cream.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 2:54 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• What Krysta622 said. That's what the dr "prescribed" when my DD had a yeast infection.
    Georgie0502

Answer by Georgie0502 at 3:12 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Gentian violet is good for oral yeast infections; it's often used for thrush. You can try baking soda in the baby's bath to soothe the yeast infection on her bottom. Nyastatin doesn't always help because it has sugars in it, and yeast feeds on sugars. Gentian violet or grapefruit seed extract are both good homeopathic remedies. Walgreens has gentian violet online; if there is an herbal store where you live they may have one or both instock or be able to recommend something to you. I know a woman who uses this stuff called "yeast free" for her kids; she gets it from a chiropractor. She also uses an oatmeal paste for bottom rashes; she just puts regular oatmeal in the blender and powders it then mixes it with some water and applies it like any other rash medicine; you can try putting the oatmeal in her bath water too.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:30 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I used the Gentian Violet on Ty when he had thrush (a yeast infection in his mouth). You just swabb it in their mouths, and yes it turns them purple...lol..but it works. You can put it on her bottom too. The dr told me use that stuff after we have done 2 rounds of nystatin. Within a day or two it cleared up a lot and with in the week was totally gone. You probably have to ask for it at the pharmacy.
    hobbitswife04

Answer by hobbitswife04 at 4:14 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Caldescene powder (in a pink container) works wonders for yeast
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 7:07 PM on Apr. 22, 2010