When you adopted... How long of a "maternity or paternity" leave did you take?

My husband and I are adopting from the foster care system and I watned to make sure to take off for the first couple of weeks to make sure they felt comfortable and adjusted as much as possible. My job is a little pissed about it, but I won't get fired and my husbands job doesn't offer paternity leave. How long did you take off when you adopted?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Adoption

• I haven't adopted, but I have friends that have. One took off 6 months, and the other took off 6 to 8 weeks just like regular maternity leave. Your employer doesn't have to pay you, but I think they are required to allow you at least 10 or 12 weeks unpaid leave. I would think your husband's employer would also be requirer to allow family leave.
    Anonymous

• I took an extended leave from work when I adopted my son from foster care and luckily my work was ok with it and allowed me a super flexible schedule when I returned. My husband also took leave after I did. You should check with your work about the Family Medical Leave Act. Parents that adopt are eligible for that leave just as parents that give birth are. Keep in mind though that small employers do not have to offer this.

Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 3:43 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• In Canada adoptive parents can take up to 35 weeks of parental leave. That can be taken by one parent or split by both. They will be paid 55% of their wage through Employment Insurance.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 5:16 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I actually quit my job when we brought home our first, and DH took off two weeks. They do have to allow him leave time, but it doesn't have to be paid. I don't think they have to hold his specific job for him.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 5:26 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• You are LEGALLY allowed to take up to 12 weeks famly medical leave (unpaid in most states) That applies to both you and your husband. the only exception is really small employers.

I took 12 weeks then came back for 2 weeks and quit.
    Anonymous

• I didn't take any. I was in between jobs, my son was born, I started my new job four weeks later, and my husband took paternity leave for the 12 weeks.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:02 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• DH had just started a new job, so he wasn't able to take any time off. I, however, took off 15 weeks that were unpaid. 12 of those weeks were covered under FMLA and the other 3 weeks were vacation time.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:33 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• With our DD I was actually in college (she was a shock, I had just enrolled when her birth mom contacted us!) so I actually was only allowed 4 weeks and that applied to everyone even if you gave birth. More then 4 weeks and you were dropped. With my son I had planned 8 weeks and sadly developed severe post adoption depression and ended up going back right after 6 at the suggestion of my therapist.

You and DH both are legally entitled to 12 weeks under FMLA as long as you have been at your job 1 year or more.
    Anonymous

• I took off 12 weeks and urge you to take at least that many to transition your older child into your family. We adopted internationally and the country we chose once required that one parent stay at home for two years in order to place a child. I took three months and then went back to work on a part time basis. A peaceful, transition that allows you the time to bond with your child and gives your child more time with you is really important. Even if your child is in school, you will need to focus on him. In fact, if your child is in school you may need even more time to get him settled, communicate with the school and support his academic transition.
    Suzy_Sunshine

Answer by Suzy_Sunshine at 8:34 AM on Apr. 23, 2010

• I was going to take a few weeks, but I never went back...I just couldn't leave my baby boy. Here I am, ten years later, and God has provided for me to be home with my kids! I am so thankful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Apr. 24, 2010