Not vaccinating, please help.

My daughter is now two months. I have never had her vaccinated. I have canceled my last two apt. she needs to go but I’m nervous about going to the Dr. because he says I need to have had her vaccinated. I don’t know if I want her vaccinated or not. I may be selective. I’m awful at speaking in front of people to try to get my point across. On top of that he is extremely intimidating. When I did not want to have my 2 year old vaccinated for chicken pox or the flu he made me feel awful and brought in a stack of papers telling me I was misinformed. I wanted to cry my face got bright red and my eyes started to water. He told me the things that I read on line were untrue. I need accurate websites and information perhaps I could just print it out and give it to him. I’m so scared and can’t switch Dr. I’m not sure what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• why can't you switch doctors?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:23 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Can someone else go with you for support? That might help.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 3:24 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• well i do vaccinate so i can't help you on that one but if you're scared of your child's doctor you do need to try to find another one why can't you change?
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:24 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Original Poster- I also feel overwhelmed by the number of vaccines she needs. Some have two diff vaccinations in them. I just feel like this is too much to put into her body. He named like 5 things i think plus a drink or drops or some thing. Im just so affraid and if i dont take her they are just going to keep calling and sending reminders in the mail. My insurace covers this office so this is where i must take her. wish i was rich. lol
    Anonymous

• Original Poster- He said with the insurace I have this is the closest place around.
    Anonymous

• well you can get a book or go online and find other places that take your insurance you don't have to go to that doctor there are more options out there i'm sorry he scares you no doctor should try intimidation for any reason....again i do vaccinate my kids so idk what to tell you on that subject
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:28 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• find a new pediatrician who has time to talk and consider your concerns. there is an abundance of inaccurate information on both sides of the vaccine debate. you must be able to communicate with the pediatrician, and he or she must be able to provide you with correct information on both sides of the argument, so that you can make an informed decision that you are comfortable with.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 3:28 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• You keep telling your doctor "i feel..." and "I'm afraid..." and you're not showing him any logical, scientific reason for what you "feel."

It's very frustrating for doctors who go to school for years, practice for years, keep up with continuing education in their fields and actually know what they're talking about and can back up their smack talk with actual scientific evidence to have mommies come in and say, "but I read on the Internet...." 

He's trying to do what's SCIENTIFICALLY PROVEN to be best for your child and he's frustrated with you because no matter how much actual scientific evidence he presents you with, your response is, "I feel..." and "I'm afraid that..."
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 3:45 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Woohoo! Fancy schmancy formatting I did there! lol
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 3:46 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I am a vaccine reaction survivor-- serious reaction that nearly killed me, so since then my mom stopped vaxing us and had to hunt hard for doctors. For my baby, I interviewed tons of doctors. They ALL told us how my reaction was a fluke, that I was lying about my reaction, that our baby would die. They tried plenty of intimidation techniques and threatened death for our baby.

You can find another doc if you have to travel. If not, put on your big mama panties and give it to the doctor straight.

"Doctor, I respect your professional opinion. This is MY baby and I love my baby. At this time, I MUST delay vaccines. Can we have a vaccine discussion at our 6 month visit?"

That should give you time to do more research. Now, it doesn't matter if you bring in research to refute his opinion. You can't change the doctor's opinion. You can only change doctors
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 3:47 PM on Apr. 22, 2010