Is this too harsh for a 2 year old?

My 2 year old just wants to sit in front of the TV all day. It gets to where he won't eat. I gave him two options. It's either eat your lunch or take a nap. The only way he would stop throwing a fit is if he got the TV back. My SO's family thinks it's too harsh to do it that way but I don't. What do you think?

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 3:24 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yeah, I would start seriously limiting tv time. He needs to know who's boss. It's not too harsh. If a child throws a tantrum and gets his/her way, they learn that it works. When my daughter throws a tantrum, I completely ignore her and I DON"T give her what she wanted. I'm not going to let her train me...lol She tried, but I didn't give in. She rarely throws a tantrum now, because the only possible thing she will get from it is a time out.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I'd let him have a fit till he either ate or fell asleep
    I'm not going to let my kids tantrums dictate how I parent
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• well idk how your house is set up but you can see the tv from my dining room & i let my dd watch "her shows" while she eats so i don't have a fight lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:25 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I have let him watch his shows but he will get distracted and not eat. I've tried it.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 3:28 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I think this is a battle that you have to stand your ground on. A little TV is okay, but not all day. He will throw the fit and get over it eventually. It may even take a couple days, but you will be doing the right thing. And the right thing isn't always the easy thing. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:28 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• how about nipping this now and NOT turning on the TV? We have it on as background noise for our son but he also doesn't care about it or watch it.... get him outside? play games instead of putting him in front of the TV? Limit it to 1 hour a day?
    Anonymous

• my 4 year old knows that ANY time he whines about the tv, it is immediately turned off, and is off the next day
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:30 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• He does get playtime. He just had it and about a half hour of TV before I decided to feed him lunch. Then he pitches a fit when I turn it off and feed him. So that's when I gave him those two options.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 3:33 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Eating and taking naps are not choices for toddlers. Do you want to where the red shirt or blue shirt today is a choice for a toddler. He needs to eat lunch and then nap. If TV is interfering with that then turn it off. If he has a fit, ignore it and wait it out. You started the bad habit of having the TV on too much and now you'll have to be patient with him while you break the bad habit. But you should never have him choose between eating or napping. First, you don't want either to seem like a punishment. Second, they are both necessary for his good health.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:42 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I heard it described this way
    there are adult sized decisions and child sized choices
    like the pp said, picking between 2 outfits, or 2 snacks is a child sized choice
    turning off the tv, eating and sleepin are adult decisions
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:44 PM on Apr. 22, 2010