Am I a camp snob?

My daughter goes to camp. Last year camp was $3,300 for 8 weeks. The camp provided transportation, swimming everyday, arts & crafts, and other activities. I had to provide the food, snack & drinks. She had a great time up to a point and didn't enjoy the camp. She mentioned last year she doesn't want to go back this year. The camp now is $3,465, for 7 weeks. I want her to go to this camp, which is very expensive. It's $5,900 for 7 weeks (we are going away the first week). The camp provides snacks, lunch, drinks, transportation, has swimming every day, arts & crafts and other activities. I like that both camps end on August 20th. I've found other camps that finish on the 13th of August, and would have to find somebody to watch her for that one week. I've looked at many camps, but I'm not sure.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• "Is that what rich people do, dump their kids at camp to get rid of them? That's just sad"

Actually my camp provides camper ships to about %40 of our population. We work on character development and leadership skills, and have terrific outcomes. It's really not to long when you break down how a community is formed and operates, it's almost a few weeks to short. I have seen some kids learn some amazing lesions and develop into amazing young men as a direct result of what they learned from the experience of living at at camp!! Do some research, there is tons of it out there... it's very beneficial to the children!!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 3:37 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• holy crap, where is this camp?!?

that is more than I pay for full time child care a YEAR
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:29 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• That's just too long. YOU want her to go? What about what she wants? If she doesn't want to go then don't make her go. Is that what rich people do, dump their kids at camp to get rid of them? That's just sad
    Anonymous

• $5900 is middle of the road as far as 7 week residential summer camps go. I am on the board of a Boys Camp in Maine and we are around $6400 for 7 weeks. We have done a lot of market research on the price and fall in the middle of the spectrum. Are you a Camp snob?? IDK what that means exactly, but if you so am I!!! LOL

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 3:32 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• That seems like much too much money to spend on a camp that your daughter doesn't even want to go to. I would look at camp options with her that way she won't be miserable all Summer. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 3:32 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• wait, a 7 week RESIDENTAL camp?

your child would be gone most of the summer...
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:33 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• My daughter doesn't want to attend Thornton-Donovan. But when we went to see Mount Tom Camp, she was shown the grounds with us and decided she wanted to go.
    Anonymous

• the camp is a private camp. I don't know much about rich people, but I don't dump my child to get rid of them. I have a full time job and so does my husband. I don't have anyone to watch my daughter. Camp to me is a great place for children, they get to learn new and different things. Camp is a great learning experience. My daughter learned to swim at camp. Then we continue her swimming lessons. If she attends this camp, she will learn soccer, soft ball and other games. Things that she's never played before she gets to experience. How amazing is this? Plus all the friends they get to meet and different people. I'm a great support of camp!! I think all children should experience camp!
    Anonymous

• day camp or sleep away camp?
    Anonymous