I am thinking about having my first Yard Sale any tips?

I would like to know what sells great at yard sales and what prices to put on the items? I have a ton of almost new toys and A Ton of great name brand clothing for girls and boys that are in great shape. I have a ton of clothing from me and the hubby as well that are name brand and very well kept.We do not smoke in our home. We also have tools, electronics, books,costume jewelry, plus real gold and silver coins, and real jewelry as well. We also have brand new beautiful paintings still in the box never used that at regular price was over 100 and 3 that were 50 a piece. I am wanting to make money but not be like all my stuff is so great i am gonna over price it. This is my first time so Any tips?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Just for Fun

• First, you must advertise so people will come. Put a brief add in the Thrifty Nickel with the day, time, and address. Also, post signs pointing to your street on the Monday before the Fri or Sat you do this so people will see it driving by.

A good rule of thumb for pricing is price stuff about 25-30% of what it cost you new, but be careful not to over price or you will turn people away.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:48 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• well i guess i could tell you what i would pay for such items...the clothes...im not the kind of gal that cares if im going to buy levis or Mudd (brand name)...if i see it at a reasonable price, ill buy it. for my kids, i really dont give a rip if they have name brand clothes but some might care...i'll pay up to $1 for one item of children's clothes. more then $1 for outfits.for adult clothes...ill pay up to $2 per item. maybe up to $3 for jeans(thats still pushing it, i'll have to REALLY want it).kids toys...ill pay up to $1 for something small.

im not entirely sure what else i'd price the rest of the stuff.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 3:52 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• definatly make sure you make big signs and dont put too many words on it - just YARD SALE and address ..... your right baout overpricing, I have went to many ( i love yard sales) and just because clothes are a name brand doesnt mean you can charge a big price for them ( I once went to one and the women had $10 on a stained Gymboree sweater!) .... I have yard saes during the summer ..and I do have alot of name brand, nice clean clothes and I have never charged over $3 ( and that was for a 3-peice outfit lol) .... I also kind of think it depends where you live ( we live in a cheap place)

good luck and I hope you sell alot !
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 3:56 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• run an add in the paper for a full week before the sale. list all of the general items that will be for sale. tools will bring people from miles around, and baby items is another big attention getter! sell clothes for a set price per piece, separating them into categories if you can. (new clothes $x per piece, gently used $x per piece, ect) trying to price every single item will make you insane. know the value of what you're selling, and only expect 1/3 or that amount at best. items like coins and jewelry, and art, should be sold under "make offer". have the bottom # you're willing to accept in your mind, and see what the customers are willing to give. don't sell yourself short, but consider all offers. when someone asks "how much for the picture?" you say "how much will you give me?" sometimes their answer will be well over the bottom amount you had in mind.

bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 3:58 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Make sure you have plenty of small bills and coin for change in your cash box...oh, yes, and get a cash box. Be up and ready to go BEFORE first light, because the die-hard yard salers are out with the dawn.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:41 PM on Apr. 22, 2010