Do you those who are against the 2nd Amendment are Un-American?

Why can't they just respect the constitution and leave it at that?

If they really believed in America, wouldn't they respect others right to bear arms?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Apr. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it is apples and oranges

The right to bear arms was written when you had to load a musket with gunpowder and a single bullet, not when you had semi automatic weapons...
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:39 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• from my cold, dead hands . . .
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 3:40 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• It's not a matter of respect but interpretation. The Amendment specifically refers to a well-regulated militia, and that's confusing. Does that mean you can only have a gun if you're in a militia? If it doesn't, why bother mentioning a militia?

It's poorly written.

Have your guns. I don't particularly care that you have them. I DO care that our laws are written with FAR too much space for this kind of debate.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:48 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Again, it's the liberal, Think from the heart and not the head. They seem to operate under this crazy notion that if guns were outlawed nobody would have them.. You know, kind of like how it works with drugs. Drugs are outlawed so we have no drug problem in this country.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:48 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I DO care that our laws are written with FAR too much space for this kind of debate.

Kind of like how liberals have abused , The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States; "

and interpreted 'General Welfare' to equate to a smorgasbord of federally funded entitlement programs...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:59 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• Again, it's the liberal

What a ridiculous generalization, Carpy. I'm sure you would consider me a "liberal", and not only do I fully respect ones right to bear arms - my DH and I own 14 different guns, at least 6 of which are fired on a regular basis.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 3:59 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• SCOTUS already laid it out several years back,when some anti-gun people tried to fight our right, that we the people do have the right to bear arms given to us by the 2nd amendment.
    Anonymous

• It's a matter of not agreeing with a way of life.

A woman the other day in this section said ' I don't care for this right so it needs to go.' And that's the basic mindset, 'as long as I agree with it it's ok and everyone who disagrees with me is evil.'
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 4:07 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• I don't own a gun but I respect the right of others to have them and to be able to protect their families.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 4:22 PM on Apr. 22, 2010

• One reason the Germans and Japanese did not invade America during WWII was because of the armed population. That is one of the things that keeps our own government at bay. It's leaders understand the population is NOT unarmed.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:33 PM on Apr. 22, 2010